No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM Engine

Wish list........

It would very nice to see other IM server options added OR a scaled down verison of the Conference Bridge to only include the IM Engine to reduce the cost when the only feaures customers require from the bridge is IM.

I heard a few months back that shoretel was going to suport XMPP in a feature release. You could then use a open source engine like (openfire) to provide the IM.

Comment

I was told 'off the record' that they could most likely integrate with Openfire currently with the proper changes made of course. May have just been a sales tactic.

Comment

You know i have heard the same from another source but they never backed it up with any details on how they got it to work. Also i found i was mistaking they are not including XMPP in a future release however you can have ShoreTel's professional services customize the code for a cost of course.

Comment

It appears said customization is tied to ECC in some way. I do see, however, how this is easy to do: They have segmented the logic for connecting to an IM server into its own DLL and have two modules right now: OCS and Conference Bridge. In Director, there is a hidden third option which allows specifying a custom DLL.

Comment

this would be a great option as we already have an openfire server running....

Comment

Originally posted by Palitto Consulting View Post
              In Director, there is a hidden third option which allows specifying a custom DLL.
              Do you know how to access this hidden option?

Comment

Originally posted by mattwray View Post
                Do you know how to access this hidden option?
                I would like to know to, but I think the issue then is the custom dll. You would have to have someone make one for you or acquire it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by kremus View Post
                  I would like to know to, but I think the issue then is the custom dll. You would have to have someone make one for you or acquire it somehow.
                  We have an in-house developer who I am pretty sure could figure that part out. But it doesn't appear anyone is going to answer the question of how to access the hidden feature.

Comment

I second the request for XMPP so that we can hook in with Openfire.
                    I have lots of customers who would like to buy Professional Call Manager / Communicator for the instant messaging piece over the use of desktop video. But they don't want to invest in the expensive LCS infrastructure from Microsoft.
                    I reckon they might even be prepared to pay a few hundred local currency units for the XMPP option but no more than a thousand.
                    The hidden option to enable custom IM Dll is in the documentation accompanying the Demo Kits. The demo kit has a pretend IM server which responds to a pre-determined set of messages sent to it.
                    What I havnt been able to get my hands on is the docs which show how I can hook in my dll with the ShoreWare server. I can't see anything in the usual API.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoreTel_Dave View Post
                      The hidden option to enable custom IM Dll is in the documentation accompanying the Demo Kits. The demo kit has a pretend IM server which responds to a pre-determined set of messages sent to it.
                      Would you be willing to send this documentation to me? I am a customer and thus do not have access to demo kit documentation. With that documentation though, our in-house developer may be able to work something out which I could then share here.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mattwray View Post
                        Would you be willing to send this documentation to me? I am a customer and thus do not have access to demo kit documentation. With that documentation though, our in-house developer may be able to work something out which I could then share here.

Thanks
                        Create DWORD reg key named EnableCustomIMServer at location:
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTEWARE\Shoreline Teleworks\
                        and set it to 1
                        In ShoreWare Director, define a new IM Server profile as follows:
                        o Enter a Descriptive Name like “ShoreTel IM Server”
                        o Set the Server Type to “Custom.” If this option is not available you will need a registry key to activate it, since it is not activated by default.
                        o Set the Protocol to “Custom”
                        o Set the DLL Name to “nameofdll”
                        o Leave Custom Parameters blank
                        o Enter “localhost” for the Fully Qualified Domain Name
                        o Save the IM Server settings. The server side is ready

Comment

Originally posted by ShoreTel_Dave View Post
                          Create DWORD reg key named EnableCustomIMServer at location:
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTEWARE\Shoreline Teleworks\
                          and set it to 1
                          In ShoreWare Director, define a new IM Server profile as follows:
                          o Enter a Descriptive Name like “ShoreTel IM Server”
                          o Set the Server Type to “Custom.” If this option is not available you will need a registry key to activate it, since it is not activated by default.
                          o Set the Protocol to “Custom”
                          o Set the DLL Name to “nameofdll”
                          o Leave Custom Parameters blank
                          o Enter “localhost” for the Fully Qualified Domain Name
                          o Save the IM Server settings. The server side is ready

Thank you, I'll have our developer look and see what he can do.

Comment

What do I put in for a DLL name if I wanted to use Openfire?

Comment

Originally posted by jercledug View Post
                              What do I put in for a DLL name if I wanted to use Openfire?
                              Its not quite that easy. Our developer has not been able to figure it out yet. What is needed is a DLL that tells the 2 programs how to interact with each other. As far as we can tell, you would have to create a custom one yourself, and you would need to have in-depth knowledge of ShoreTel development to know what the calls and what not it is asking for to be defined.

Bottom line is he believes we cannot make it work without ShoreTel either releasing support for other platforms or writing something custom ($$).

Comment

Working...
                              X