Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several enhancement requests...

Some or all of these may have been mentioned before, but these enhancements would be greatly appreciated!
    1. Support for virtualization of ShoreWare Director, specifically with VMWare ESX Server and Microsoft Hyper-V.
    2. Support for SSHv2 on voice switches and the ability to completely disable Telnet.
    3. Integrated replication for ShoreWare Director. This would eliminate the need for third-party software solutions such as Double Take.
    4. Support for joining the ShoreWare Director server and DVMs to a domain - even if all group policy should be blocked, to prevent breaking of COM objects.

Thanks for listening!
    antsman

I can not answer to all of the requests you made, but the virtualization you are requesting has come up many times since it would dramatically reduce the need for redundant replicating servers and the like. The issue here is not on ShoreTel's end though, the problem is that there is not currently a virtual platform that get's it's timing right consistently enough to make VOIP realistic. No-one notices if the virtual processor skips a cycle or the virtual ram has to pause before sending information when you are doing ordinary computing tasks, but in a VOIP scenario, those things can be a huge deal to voice quality. So start lobbying the virtual server programmers to get their timing right if that is what you want to see. (As I think all of us do.)

Comment

Responses are included below...

Originally posted by antsman View Post
      Some or all of these may have been mentioned before, but these enhancements would be greatly appreciated!
      1. Support for virtualization of ShoreWare Director, specifically with VMWare ESX Server and Microsoft Hyper-V.

This was actually a limitation in virtualization software around how network traffic is handled. QOS is neccessary for real time applications. VMWare vSphere 4.0 introduced the ability to provide QOS on the network interfaces, meaning real time applications can be support. Shoretel is aware that VMWare now supports this.
      2. Support for SSHv2 on voice switches and the ability to completely disable Telnet.

SSHv2 would be great! At least you have to enable telnet first before you can get into the switches.
      3. Integrated replication for ShoreWare Director. This would eliminate the need for third-party software solutions such as Double Take.

Yes, that would be nice.
      4. Support for joining the ShoreWare Director server and DVMs to a domain - even if all group policy should be blocked, to prevent breaking of COM objects.

This is already supported and we've deployed joined to domains for years. It only causes issues when Microsoft releases patches that impact domain environments. This has occured 2 times over the past 4 years. For the AD integration in Shoretel 9.0+, you must have the HQ server joined to the domain.

Thanks for listening!
      antsman

Comment

This is already supported and we've deployed joined to domains for years. It only causes issues when Microsoft releases patches that impact domain environments. This has occured 2 times over the past 4 years. For the AD integration in Shoretel 9.0+, you must have the HQ server joined to the domain.
        Is there any documentation that talks about do's and don'ts/support for adding a server to the domain? Our integrator told us that ShoreTel did NOT support joining the servers to the domain. In my environment, this creates unncessary security risk. A standalone server is always much more of a target than one joined to a secured domain.

Also, I wasn't aware that ShoreTel 9.0 required joining the HQ server to the domain. I don't remember seeing that mentioned in the docs, either. Maybe you can point me to that?

Thanks!
        antsman

Comment

Shoretel AD integration app note attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much, Chris!

Comment

I'm curious about the domain join issue as well. I'd heard from our integrator NOT to UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES join the server to the domain. we brought it up on v8 and are now on 9 (waiting 9.2)

can you join an existing server or is this for new installs only?

Comment

Originally posted by saimike View Post
                I'd heard from our integrator NOT to UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES join the server to the domain.
                Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Domain issues were resolved in version 9. Check out KB10065: it states:

"Can a ShoreWare server be a part of a domain?

Yes, it can be a part of a domain but cannot serve as domain controller.

Recommendations: Install ShoreWare server software while server is in Workgroup mode, then once all is confirmed to function, attach to the domain."

Comment

Originally posted by antsman View Post

I would seem that in 2010 telnet shouldn't exist. With openssh the way it is.. Honestly I find it hard to believe any respective vendor uses anything but SSHv2.

Call me naive, but why would virtualization of shoreware director be a smart move? Would that be the opposite of the distributed architecture? its going back to the central point of failure.. and VMware clusters fail just like chassis fail..

Comment

The road map (which is always subject to change) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (COVERED BY SHORETEL NDA - changed by CMB)
                    Last edited by cburgy; 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM. Reason: Covered under Shoretel NDA

Comment

Originally posted by Miersk View Post
                      The road map (which is always subject to change) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (COVERED BY SHORETEL NDA - changed by CMB)

ok I'll sign it and find out who and what is standing behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by bclipp View Post

ok I'll sign it and find out who and what is standing behind the curtain.
                        Just head the roadmap all I can say is I'm impressed with some stuff..
                        :tongue_smilie:

Comment

Is hyper-V supported in 10?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingdutchmanVa View Post
                            Is hyper-V supported in 10?
                            No it is not.

Comment

Working...
                            X