Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E911, CESID & PRI Problem

I am trying to get 911 working correctly with our new system and here's what I'm running into. My two sites do not have CESID information populated. I do have my IP phone mapping CESID information setup. All 911 calls are going out my PRI and for some reason all 911 calls are showing up as my first DID # and I cannot seem to find where that would be setup. Is that something that would be on the Shoretel system or would this be at my telco? I have an email into them to see if they have something that is making all 911 calls show that # but if its something setup on the Shoretel system I sure can't find it.

Any idea's???

Straight from ShoreTel:

How the system determines what caller ID to user for 911 calls.

The options are listed in the order of precedence. If the first item on this list is not configured within the ShoreTel system, then the next piece of information on the list will be sent.
    1 User’s Caller ID number
    2 User’s Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number
    3 Caller’s Emergency Service Identification ID (CESID) for an IP address range
    4 CESID of the controlling switch
    5 CESID of the site
    6 Nothing sent by ShoreTel system (the service provider sends the caller ID number associated with the trunk)

this is true ONLY if the carrier is not substituting your caller ID

Comment

Thanks Charles. Yep, thats what I thought. I'll wait to hear from my telco.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Straight from ShoreTel:

How the system determines what caller ID to user for 911 calls.

The options are listed in the order of precedence. If the first item on this list is not configured within the ShoreTel system, then the next piece of information on the list will be sent.
        1 Userís Caller ID number
        2 Userís Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number
        3 Callerís Emergency Service Identification ID (CESID) for an IP address range
        4 CESID of the controlling switch
        5 CESID of the site
        6 Nothing sent by ShoreTel system (the service provider sends the caller ID number associated with the trunk)

this is true ONLY if the carrier is not substituting your caller ID
        There are two exceptions to this list. If items 1 and/or 2 are configured, the user's User Group controls whether or not they are used as the CESID.

Comment

You have to use a 3rd party company when using a PRI. All the telco sees is the BTN of the PRI no matter what you push out with shoretel. We use 911etc and they are great. You need this if you have multiple locations.. Some telco providers provide the same service but check pricing.

Good Luck.

Comment

;2E

We had to use this string to make caller ID work properly with a PRI from Birch

Comment

We ran in to this issue when configuring a PRI between a DMS 10 and ShoreTel. What would happen is if I sent CESID info the call would fail at the DMS. Adding of the customer string ;2E resolved the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dentonb2000 View Post
                We ran in to this issue when configuring a PRI between a DMS 10 and ShoreTel. What would happen is if I sent CESID info the call would fail at the DMS. Adding of the customer string ;2E resolved the issue.
                Just a clarification on ;2E and what it does.
                ;2E allows all numbers to be represented as E.164 national & subscriber

;3E sets all numbers to be represented as E.164 nation / international

Comment

I just went through E911 hell with an AT&T PRI - the PSAP wouldn't see our CESID, only the BTN of the PRI. This custom dial string resolved the issue:

;2E<Y.>X.%21140G

Comment

Originally posted by mrp View Post
                    I just went through E911 hell with an AT&T PRI - the PSAP wouldn't see our CESID, only the BTN of the PRI. This custom dial string resolved the issue:

;2E<Y.>X.!140G
                    mrp, did you get an explanation of what this custom dial string does? We have a new site (site B) that has no trunks, but uses Level(3) PRI trunks at site A for all calls. The CESID at site B is set to a specific number that is within the DID range of the Level(3) PRI, but when a test 911 call is placed from site B, the 911 service receives the BTN of the Level(3) PRI rather than the specified CESID number.

Is there a way to tell what CESID number the ShoreTel system is sending out?

I've already got a custom dial string of ;2E;-35A on the Level(3) PRI, so I'm not sure how I would add the string you provided if I chose to. The ;-35A gives it priority over another PRI at the same site.

My plan was to send out a specific CESID number to Level(3) and have them add a directory listing for that number as the physical address of site B, thereby providing the correct address to the 911 service. However, after talking with my Level(3) sales rep, she thinks that I have to involve a 3rd party E911 service to do what I'm trying to do.

And, yes, I know I can just add a POTS line to that site and force 911 calls over it because the WAN could go down, but what are the odds that the WAN would go down at the same time as a 911 call needed to be placed? But then I thought, what if a catastrophic event takes down the WAN and that event also warrants a 911 call? Well, then the odds are pretty good that the same event would have taken out the POTS line and/or the phone system also.

Thanks,
                    Gary
                    Last edited by gberkemeyer; 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: Custom dial string refuses to display correctly when quoted

Comment

Originally posted by gberkemeyer View Post
                      mrp, did you get an explanation of what this custom
                      There's a document that describes the dial string on the support site.

Your wan could be down, and then no 911.

I didn't know level3 did pri's? I thought they were sip only.

Comment

Originally posted by nintendo1889 View Post
                        There's a document that describes the dial string on the support site.
                        Can you tell me where that document is? I found documents describing other dial strings, but not this one.

Comment

Gary, FYI, to combine the dial strings, I believe you would use:

;2E;-35A<Y.>X.!140G

Dial plan rules start with either a ; or a <.

Comment

Thanks for the info Palitto. The dial string would then be

;2E;-35A<Y.>X.%21140G

For some reason, when replying with quoted text, it replaced the %21 with !

Of course, I still don't understand what dial string <Y.>X.%21140G actually does.

Comment

There's two kb articles, KB12084 KB12996 on the dial plan.

Here's a blurb on ;2e from KB12996:

5) Outbound Caller ID is seen as Unknown

There can be a few different reasons why this may occur. The main reason is the
                              Carrier is requiring a specific format from ShoreTel, in this case National E.164
                              Format. Some Telco’s will reject calls if the calling party number is not in E.164
                              format. Sometimes they will only reject certain classes of calls, such as national
                              calls are optional, but international calls require it.
                              To correct this:
                              o Turn on Support Entry Mode before login into ShoreTel Director
                              o In the Trunk group (PRI Normally) add the following string in the custom
                              Field at the bottom of the Page ;2E
                              o Make an outbound call.
                              o If this does not correct the issue, please call into TAC for further trouble
                              shooting with a PRI trace.
                              Note, save your dial plan before making any changes. Shoretel will not support custom dial plans unless it's theirs.

Comment

Working...
                              X