Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Updates

Share your tricks you have found to respect which Windows updates to install on Windows servers as stated in release notes.

Since Windows server 2016 I was disabling the updates service, then, just before to install a new buid, I just enable windows updates, then do a check for updates, then disable again updates service before rebooting the server.

This was installing too recent updates, but I where not able to have tac help with clear instructions on how to manually select independently each updates as it was easy with 2012 servers.

However, I never ran into issues doing that way.

Recently, tac ask me to uninstall a windows service package that the release date exceed the release notes for the testing of that build.

I am not able to uninstall a service pack, and everybody I asked about it say that its not a good idea.

I found that you can use the sconfig comment to prevent Windows to automatically install updates instead of stopping the service, but this won't help me to find which updates I should install for that server.

Even with this setup, click on the "Check for Updates" button, finds which updates available (all), download and install it then.

I hope there is another way than download and try each updates from the Windows Updates Library?

Honestly, I have never had an issue with running updates past the date suggested. I also typically update regularly when I feel like doing maintenance. The only thing I don't do is immediately run updates as they appear because sometimes updates get bundled and superseded. I haven't worried about not running updates for years and every time I do a fresh install I make sure it's 100% updated before I run the installer. I also always make sure I have a backup because sometimes stuff just breaks but it's typically not from updates in my experience.
    Lance Paddock
    BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
    1(800) 289-0299

Comment

TAC actually hasn't complained in quite a while when there are more recent updates on the server... and that used to be one of their gotchas they would look for, so that they don't have to help solve a problem.
      When SP1 for Server 2003 came out, it broke every Shoretel system we had. So that is the only reason I always turned updates off, that was a rough week!

Comment

So watch your steps, I confirm that tac have start again to ask removing updates.

I got two tickets opened having t3 ask to remove updates packages.

Comment

I have used WuMGR (Windows Update Manager - opensource) to manually download and install updates to servers that have the auto updates disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by B08bydigital View Post
            TAC actually hasn't complained in quite a while when there are more recent updates on the server... and that used to be one of their gotchas they would look for, so that they don't have to help solve a problem.
            When SP1 for Server 2003 came out, it broke every Shoretel system we had. So that is the only reason I always turned updates off, that was a rough week!
            I remember it well!! at the time I was working in ShoreTel TAC, Server 2003 SP1 came out the same day ST7.X (7.5 I think) came out we didn't know if it was the new build or new Service Pack but eventually they found it was SP1. As you say Bobby it was a horrible week.

Comment

Working...
            X