No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dhcp option 156

Hello All,
    If the phone and the server are in the same subnet is it necessary to include layer2tagging=1 and vlanid=N?
    Thanks

yes,,, if you have a separate voice and data subnet, then yeah... you need to tell the phone that it needs to send that tag with its data. This also kinda depends on your network you could have the port actually set to native on the voice VLAN... but that is rare...and not going to happen if your using the same port for voice and data.

Comment

Hi Sousantu,
      My DHCP server is a firewall/router. The firewall/router creates the vlans (subnets) and only hands out address to hosts in that vlan (subnet). Since vlans are broadcast domains there's no way for host to get an ip address from another scope unless you were to configure an ip-helper address. So there's no need to tag traffic.
      Right?

Comment

Let's take a step back Tom.
        Do you plan to have PC's plugged into the back of the phone? If yes, you need VLAN tagging (and an ip-helper address).
        It sounds like you have certain VLANs assigned to certain switch ports (access ports).

Comment

Normal way of setting up a Shoretel is your have a pc plugged into the phone and the phone plugged into the data switch. The pc is on the data vlan and the phone is on the voice vlan (unless your running a flat network...which you are not).... the switchport is configured with the data as native and the voice as tagged. The phone needs to be told what vlan it is in so it will tag its packets correctly. The exception to this is if you have a phone plugged into a port with no pc behind it. Then you could set that port to native to the voice VLAN just like you do with the Shoretel servers and switches/appliances. But now this port is exclusive to a phone and not a PC. I always configure my switchports as native to data and tagged in voice... this way they can plug phones or/and PC's into any port.

Comment

Working...
          X