No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate Shoretel HQ server

Hello,

We have our Shoretel HQ server in City A and there are two other sites that are connected to it and all of their associated phone devices.
    We are decommissioning the data center in City A so we are trying to find out the best way to migrate the HQ server to City B.
    The current IP subnet that it is on cannot be easily migrated due to multiple MPLS networks and dependencies on that subnet in City A.

Is it possible to create a new VM in City B and set up the Shoretel HQ server there with a new IP address? I assume we will need to update the sites and their associated devices with this new IP, but would it require a manual effort or is there a simple way to do this?

This way we can easily decommission the HQ server in City A once we have everything connected to City B.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

It will be a PITA, but doable...... I have found in the past that changing the IP of an HQ server can lead to corruption, have not done so since version 12.x due to this....Make sure you follow the KB on changing the IP address of HQ server as you need to change it in the database first. You should be fine ... it will all be manual as far as changing the configuration of all the switches etc...DHCP should handle the changes on the phones.

Comment

It's actually very simple to change the IP of HQ, first update the application server IP in Director to reflect the new IP address, then you can create a backup and copy it over to the new server, install the same exact version on the new hq server then copy over the database and config files to the new server and run the config batch scripts to restore the databases then reboot and you should be good to go. There is a guide on this forum that walks through how to do this as well.

Comment

Thanks Soulsanctu and bhaikalis for the information. I think our biggest concern was the manual effort required to update all the phones but if DHCP can handle that then it would only be a matter of updating the server and switches. I found this article which seems to cover the steps you mentioned: https://www.lantelligence.com/2013/0...tel-hq-server/

Comment

This might be a little deeper explanation ShoreTel Backup And Restore Process

Lance Paddock
          BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
          1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Migrating wont be hard with the correct planning.

As a rule of access change all switches first, then the director ip, then the physical ip of the server and then finally the registry IP on that server
            Lance Paddock
            BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
            1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Man this brings back memories. One of my first tasks in Shoretel was moving the entire core to a new subnet. This was back in 7.5. Took the entire weekend. Of course I was running 160 sites with 250+ switches, 4 DVS's and about 15,000 end points. I kept hearing that I needed to do the IP change in a particular order, so I ran it through my lab. When Shoretel says that not following the order exactly would be CATASTROPHIC they arent just selling woof tickets. System ran, but no changes could be made. Fun times though. It will really help you get a better understanding of the Shoretel system.

Comment

Working...
              X