Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up new site to existing Shoretel system (Testing without POTS)

Don't laugh but this is my first install for my company. I'm using a 40/8 shoregear switch. I set up the networking equipment for the new location before taking it down. We wanted to make sure everything worked correctly before going live from the new locations existing network/ phone system. So I have a SonicWall tz300 connected to each location with a VPN. I have the switch configured to connect back to headquarters. In my connectivity monitor on the shoreware director I'm showing that all sites are connected and working. I plugged in the Shoretel phones and they connected back to the server and we tagged the mac addresses to the right users. The only thing missing that I'm aware of is that we haven't connected the existing POTS lines into the Shoretel switch. I was thinking that I would still be able to make calls within the site and within the connected sites without a POTS line? So to test I made a call to each location, it rings but when the other user picks up neither of us hear anything. But, if the user does not pick up it will go to voicemail.

I would just plug it in and test it but the site is really far away and I want to get some clarification before I get there. Because I will have to go down on the weekend when the office is closed to finish the install.

You either have something mis-configured on your equipment (subnet, etc) or your firewalls are blocking the voice traffic.
    Randy Wensmann
    rwensmann@btxchange.com
    (408) 385-3485
    www.btxchange.com

Comment

Double-Check the phone configuration. If the IP4XX phones don't have a valid Gateway configured, you will see this behavior...... IP4XX phones "require" a Gateway to be configured. Even on a flat LAN configuration..

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I went through and checked the settings on the firewall, switch, director etc. It turns out that the actual handset of the phone we were testing was plugged into the extra jack for headsets... Yeah, I know it's embarrassing. But hey, I'm just glad it works.

Comment

We get that call all the time the phone has no sound, usually ask them if it works on speaker phone answer is yes, then say is the handset cord plugged in at 7 or 9 o'clock and of course its at 7 in the headset jack.
          Randy Wensmann
          rwensmann@btxchange.com
          (408) 385-3485
          www.btxchange.com

Comment

Working...
          X