Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 1720 During Communicator Install (Win7 32 & 64 Bit)

We've hit this installer problem on both 32 and 64 bit of Windows 7 version, where attempting to install the client software fails with an error code 1720. This seems very random, as the same client installs just fine on other machines that are Win 7 32 and 64 bit.

Users have administrative priviliges, and installation has been attempted as the system administrator. Does anyone know of a workaround to have an installation happen that gets around this issue in Shoretel's installer?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

This is a fun one to fix. Here's the steps from the KB

How to reinstall Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator on a computer that is running Windows XP

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    1. In Administrative Tools, open Services, and then stop all services.
    2. In the Startup type column, change the startup type to Manual for all services except the services in the following list.

Note We recommend that you note the services that you change so that you can correctly restore these values in step 7.
    o Alerter
    o COM+ Event System
    o Computer Browser
    o Distributed Link Tracking Client
    o DNS Client
    o Event Log
    o IPSEC Services
    o Logical Disk Manager
    o Messenger
    o Net Logon
    o NT LM Security Support Provider
    o Network Connections
    o Plug and Play
    o Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    o Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    o Removable Storage
    o Security Accounts Manager
    o Server
    o System Event Notification
    o Task Scheduler
    o TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    o Windows Management Instrumentation
    o Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
    o Windows Time
    o Workstation

3. Close Services, and then restart your computer.
    4. At a command prompt, type the following command:
    %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
    5. Start Registry Editor, and then remove the following registry keys if they exist:
    o HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
    o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSDTC
    o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\M SDTC
    o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\M SDTC
    o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
    6. At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install.
    7. Wait for disk activity to stop, and then restore the startup type of the services that you changed to their original values.
    8. In the registry, create the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL
    9. At a command prompt, type regsvr32 mtxoci.dll.

You will receive a message that states that DllRegisterServer in Mtxoci.dll succeeded. Click OK to close the message.
    10. Restart your computer.
    11. At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -resetlog.

Comment

Thanks Nathan. And this will work for Windows 7 (these steps which are listed for Windows XP)?

Comment

We have had the same problem on one machine. We just upgraded to 11.2 communicator. I followed these steps and it still did not work. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Has anyone found a fix for this, I see over 4000 views on the first two posts alone so it is definitely an issue people are running into...

Comment

I have had this issue as well and the Microsoft solution didn't work either.
            This was after upgrading to Communicator 11.1 from 9.2.
            So far I have had this on 3 systems and the quickest solution for me was to re-image. Hopefully someone has a better solution soon as I feel this will occur more frequently.

Comment

Yes, that fix works. But instead of stopping all of those services, just start the PC in safe mode.

Comment

We run into this but only on our XP machines. Haven't come across it on win7 yet. On the XP machines, we've found it to be faster to just reinstall SP3.

Comment

Working...
                X