Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Ethernet but Laptop Works

I have a site that has a fiber link from the server room to their work shop. The fiber terminates into a media converter, with then goes to a brick then to the phone. The phone continues to display "no ethernet". I have tried the phone in other locations and it works fine. So it is not the phone. I have tried other phones in that location and they also say "no ethernet". I have plugged in a laptop at that location and the laptop connects fine. I have also plugged the laptop into the power brick to test that and it still worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys
    Jeremy

I would check the MDI/X settings on the fiber converters. Does the laptop get a 10 mbps connection or 100 mbps when it is plugged into the converter?

Comment

I've never tried putting a fiber to ethernet converter box directly into a phone, but have used them and know they can be tricky in other applications.

A couple ideas to test and keep in mind - because of the PoE running to the phone, the laptop may work for data but if it required PoE, there could be issues.

Also try testing by putting a mini switch connected from the fiber converted box to the mini switch, then plug the phone into the mini switch and see what happens.

Comment

the end result was we needed a cross over cable between the two.

Thanks for the help guys

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
        X