X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup ShoreTel System

Hello

I have a customer running the following:

1. Windows Server 2003 running ShoreWare Server version 13.23.2606.0 (ShoreWare Director Small Business Edition)
    2. ShoreTel SG 90 switch.
    3. ShoreTel SG T1k switch

Can any please tell me what is the proper way to backup this system I have found severasl articals on backing up the MySQL Database and the the ShoreWare Local Data Store however the CLI synatax did not work on my system.

Also I have heard that you can backup switch configuration info to FTP server does anyone know how to set this up or if it is possible.

Thanks in advance

Josh

Well there are a few steps you need to take for this kind of backup. There are basicially two DBs you backup. The configuration backup, which stores the user configuration, sites, workgroups, etc.. and the backup of voice mails and auto attendent greetings.

Shoretel actually has some pretty good premade .bat files that call upon a .sql command that exports all the data into a text file. You have to communicate with the installed MySQL database that shoretel uses, and export all the data into a text file. Then you can simply copy this text file to any "offsite" location using ftp or simply connecting a thumbdrive.

The way we setup our system, is we used the provided batch files, typically found in [Program Files\Shoreline Communications\Shoreware Server\Scripts] and we just simply set a windows scheduled task, to execute the batch file every day at a particular time. This is how we get daily backups. Considering the file is only a text file storage space is not something we fear. It should be taken into account though that while the backup is in progress the server will be down. This usually only lasts between 5 - 10 minutes depending on the size of your DB and configuration table.

If you need more specific information please let me know and I will see if I can explain in more detail and try to make a step by step procedural account of how we designed our backup system.

Comment

Thank you for the reply that helps, however if you could explain in more detail that would be helpful as I have scourede the admin guide and found similar steps but it did not mention two dbs just the one I was unaware of the VM DB, the only things I found were backing up the main DB plus the shoreware data ditrectory located under "C" drive.

also is anyway to backup the shoregear switches? i heard you can backup switch config via FTP.

Thanks

Josh

Comment

Unless you have V switches, there is nothing worth backing up from the switches. The server contains their entire config in its database.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help as I am new to ShoreTel but not IT, correct me if I am wrong but the V at the end of the switch model# stands for integrated Voice Mail.

also can anyone give me some shoretel best practices

thanks

Josh

Comment

here is a bat file I made to copy both the SQL database and the folders.
            Code:
            Set FDate=%Date:~-10,10%

Set Fdate=%FDate:/=-%

"C:\\Program Files\\Shoreline Communications\\Shoreware Server\\MySQL\\MySQL Server 

5.0\\bin\\mysqldump.exe" --user=root --password=shorewaredba --add-drop-database --routines 

--single-transaction --database Shoreware 

>"C:\\backups\\"%FDate%\\"Company_Name_shorewareConfigDump.sql"

xcopy "c:\Shoreline Data\VMS"  "C:\backups\"%FDate%\"vms\" /y/e/v

Xcopy "C:\Shoreline Data\MessageFiles" "C:\Backups\"%FDate%\"MessageFiles\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\Shoreline Data\Database" "C:\Backups\"%FDate%\"Database\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\Shoreline Data\prompts" "C:\Backups\"%FDate%\"prompts\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\Shoreline Data\scripts" "C:\Backups\"%FDate%\"Scripts\" /y/e/v

Comment

I was able to backu the c:\shoreline data folder.

However, I still keep getting the following message when running the backup from the DOS command line:
              cd C:\Program Files\Shoreline Communications\Shoreware Server\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqldump.exe --user=root --password=shorewaredba --databases Shoreware --routines --single-transaction>C:\shoreware_Bkup.sql

When i run the bat file it say not a valid win32 application

I will try your batch file flipmstr2, thank you for the code.

Comment

I edit part of Flipmstr2 orginal .bat try this it should do the trick you will have to edit the paths to match your needs cause the system i tested it on stores all shoretel directories in the program files directory.

below is the code

Set FDate=%Date:~-10,10%

Set Fdate=%FDate:/=-%

C:\Program Files\Shoreline Communications\Shoreware Server\MySQL\MySQL Server5.0\bin\mysqldump.exe --user=root --password=shorewaredba --add-drop-database --routines --single-transaction --database Shoreware > C:\backups2\"%FDate%\"Company_Name_shorewareConfig Dump.sql

xcopy "c:\program files\Shoreline Data\VMS" "C:\backups2\"%FDate%\"vms\" /y/e/v

Xcopy "C:\program files\Shoreline Data\MessageFiles" "C:\Backups2\"%FDate%\"MessageFiles\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\program files\Shoreline Data\Database" "C:\Backups2\"%FDate%\"Database\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\program files\Shoreline Data\prompts" "C:\Backups2\"%FDate%\"prompts\" /y/e/v

xcopy "C:\program files\Shoreline Data\scripts" "C:\Backups2\"%FDate%\"Scripts\" /y/e/v

Comment

I do have to say though, that the Shoreline Data directory is not usually in the Program Files directory.

Comment

Is there some magic trick to get scheduled tasks to run on Server 2008? The batch file works fine, but not when the task scheduler tries to run it...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby_Digital View Post
                      Is there some magic trick to get scheduled tasks to run on Server 2008? The batch file works fine, but not when the task scheduler tries to run it...
                      I'm looking for an answer on this too.

Comment

Well, keep me updated, if you dont mind, and I'll do the same.

My problem is that the batch file runs manually, but no matter what I try, I cant get it to work with the task scheduler. I have it running as administrator, the user does not have to be logged in, the password is saved, I have tried everything that I have found on the microsoft website.

Comment

I will - I've got some time today to see what I can find out - but I'm having the exact same problems you're experiencing.

Comment

I ran the batch file, but it gave an error message, path cannot be found. . If you know of how to fix it, that would be great. I checked all the code and didn’t see any incorrect path.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSTEK View Post
                              I ran the batch file, but it gave an error message, path cannot be found. . If you know of how to fix it, that would be great. I checked all the code and didnít see any incorrect path.
                              I am assuming that you are running Server 2008 64 bit. In which case you need to edit the batch file. Any where it says c:\Program Files\Shoreline... you must change it to c:\Program Files (x86)\Shoreline...

The shoreTel server application is a 32 bit application and will be put in that folder. Up until recently, ShoreTel only supported 32 bit OS and this is a growing pain to supporting 64 bit.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X