Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShoreTel Server 11.0 on a Hyper-V VM

The 11.0 release notes mention running the server on a VMware VM, but does anyone know if it will work on a Microsoft Hyper-V hosted VM?

Thanks

It's not going to be "supported" on hyper V just yet but I get hints that support for this may be in the roadmap. Which means that if you follow the receipe for VMWare for memory and CPU cores it might just work, but if it doesnt then you wont get technical support.

The roadmap means that ShoreTel hopes to have this feature one day but won't tell us when for legal reasons in case some stock broker does something rash and loses a load of money based on that information. (I hear stock brokers are perfectly capable of doing that anyway regardless of Hyper V support)

Comment

Vmware

Ok,

Now I am confused. For years now we have been told Shortel cant run on vmware, because of a limitation and device driver problems (all vmware's fault), etc etc etc.

On page 141 of the v11 PIG it says:

ShoreTel does not support installation on a virtual server (such as VMware) as realtime
      voice applications such as voicemail may not have adequate system resources.

On page 184 of the PIG for shoretel 11, it has one paragraph that says:

12.7 VMware Virtual Environment for Main and DVS
      Servers
      12.7.1 Versions
      The following versions of VMware will be supported:
      VMware vSphere 4 (ESX 4 / ESXi 4)
      12.7.2 Configuration (For Main Server Only)
      High Availability
      VMotion
      Note: Only server running on VMware for the core platform is supported. The ECC,
      CSTA, and other TPP and professional services applications are not supported on the
      ShoreWare virtual servers.

I didn't see anything about configuration settings, changes, etc. It just says supported. I searched the entire document for VMWARE and this is the only place it comes up.

so according to them, it is supported, but is not supported, and they have no special requirements, drivers, changes, or settings needed?

Can someone shed some light here?

Comment

I agree that there is some confusion at the moment.
        The documentation is a bit ahead of reality.
        The plan was for VMware support in v11 but this has been pulled at the last minute until an unspecified dot release of 11.
        I guess some problem cropped up which was going to busy out TAC once it got loose in the real world.
        The fact it has been pulled for the near term was explained at the partner conference though they were demonstrating how you would (once it is supported) be able to make use of Vmotion to seamlessly move the ShoreTel VM from one host to another.
        The intent I believe is that Virtualisation under VMWare will be supported in 11 dot something and we dont need to wait until 12. (lets see if I have to eat my words next year shall we?)

Comment

It hasn't gotten adequate field testing. We are part of a small focus group that holds weekly meetings with the field trials team. Most of us are waiting on 64-bit support before deploying on our vSphere infrastructure instead of doing the testing with 32-bit on vSphere.

It's worked fine every since vSphere came out. It was always a VMWare issue (there are other threads here going into this in greater detail) which VMWare addresses and began support real-time applications (i.e. VOIP) with vSphere 4.0. That is why you saw everyone starting to support the deployment of their voip solutions on vSphere (Mitel, Avaya, Cisco and now Shoretel). We've had customers running it in this environment despite official Shoretel support.

vMotion support has nothing to do with holding the feature. Plus, that is a feature that is only available if you are using shared storage with VMWare and have the appropriate versions of vSphere licensed. It works regardless of the application running on a server. That just mitigates hardware failures on ESX hosts.

Comment

Curious to find out Shoretel does the MAC address licensing with VMWare. Is the physical NIC assigned to the VM and thus the MAC is passed that way? Or is it manipulated somehow by VMware.

If its the second choice does this mean you could transport your image to any hardware platform running VMware and start the image up? Transporting from say VMware ESxi, to Windows Server 200x running vmware.

Comment

The MAC address used will be the MAC address of the virtual NIC. In VirtualBox, for example, I can assign the MAC address for each card.

Comment

Even if you hard code the NIC hardware to the VM? You can over write the MAC?

Comment

I don;t know. I've never set up a VM with a dedicated NIC. I use VirtualBox, which does not support this. On the other hand, I've been running without a dedicated NIC and have not noticed any audio skips while running with the latest version of VirtualBox. With older versions I had issues but not with the most recent.

Comment

Here are some good posts from VMWare about MAC address changing. I guess by doing this you can use just 1 MAC for a build. No need to advise of a MAC address change when you move your VM to a different server.

(I haven't tried this yet).

VMware KB: Changing the MAC address of a virtual machine

VMware KB: Setting a static MAC address for a virtual NIC

Comment

Working...
                    X