Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of software support - IP210/IP530

Just a reminder that the IP210/IP530 will no longer be supported as of ST 11.0. I asked Shoretel to repost the announcement of EOSS, which you may now find on the partner site.

Shoretel 11.0 is currently in beta. Software support for the two handsets will be removed shortly after 11.0 enters controlled release.

Are you sure about that, it does not sound right.
    Shoretel is dropping support for phones that were shipping within the last 4 years?
    Our old Rolm was around for 30 years no way could anyone expect to have to replace Shoretel phones every 6 years just to keep up with software updates.

Any other thoughts about this?

Bob

Comment

Yes. As of now, that is their plan. They did announce their intentions a couple years ago. I completely forgot about it, which is why they needed to repost the notice.

They may still elect to change it (I hope). As of this moment, that is the policy.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance. Does that mean that these phone won't work at all, or are simply no supported. May work, my not.

Comment

Chris, do you have any additional on exactly what the end of software support means? Does it mean that the phones simply will not function at all with version 11? Or that they may function but ShoreTel will not longer provide support if they do not work? Or that ShoreTel will not cover them under a support agreement but that they will work with the system?

I agree with BStone, I wouldn't expect ShoreTel to support them for 30 years, but I think 10 would be reasonable instead of 4. If anyone from ShoreTel is listening, I believe Cisco still supports their early model 7940/7960 phones with their current version of Call Manager... and I thought ShoreTel's promise was lowest TCO versus the competitors? Unless ShoreTel would like to replace all our 530's free of charge.

Comment

It means that you will not be allowed to upgrade to Shoretel 11.0+ if IP210/IP530 phones are present in the system.

Comment

If this is the case and ShoreTel impliments this with 11.0, version 10 will be our last ShoreTel upgrade before we evaluate new phone systems.

I have backed ShoreTel and supported them since the day we installed our system. Having close to 1,000 phones in service and hundreds of them being 210's and 530's, we will not make the mistake of having to replace our handsets again. What's next? Discontinuation of support the 110's and 560's? So that we have to pay $200-$300+ per phone for a replacement 230 or 265 phone?

Again... if ShoreTel is listening... this is a huge mistake. Using some average numbers, if I have to replace 400 phones that function perfectly at roughly $250 a piece, that's $100,000. Does anyone else think that is crazy?

Comment

I am ready to start another thread, but for now I'll just say I am rethinking ShoreTel completely.

I have lost money hand over fist on their stock. I have been waiting for the additional field staff that was to come after the IPO.

Reality is that for the average install there are other products available that will do more for a fraction of the price. No software compliance to deal with no license to buy.

There needs to be a change in management at ST. Voting my stock will not change it. But I hope it will bring notice. The only reason I don't sell the stock before it goes to zero is I want to vote and be heard for once. A FEDEX envelope requiring signature doesn't attract attention - tried that.

Comment

While I do not necessarily disagree that it would be a huge expense to do all at once, as Chris noted this has been a posted intention for about 6 years now if I remember correctly and they have not be available for purchase for more than 4 years. There is nothing forcing you to move past 10.2 unless you choose to do the phones of your own accord or you really want a new 11.0+ feature. One side note on the Ciscos, that is only true if you have the right hardware, if you are on a new hardware/software platform rather than an (i.e. current per smart-net) then they have never been supported on that scenario at all. We just did a forklift replacement for a cisco house that does extensive data and had cisco voice, but two years after they got a new VOIP solution installed they were told they had to forklift the entire thing, phones and all, in order to upgrade and be able to continue smart-net support.

Comment

Phones

I believe a reasonable time to support a phone handset would be like 7-10 years from the last sale.

Sure they wont support the "new" features, but there isnt any reason they cant be set into some sort of "legacy" mode, where they would continue to operate at a 10x level.

If I purchased $100,000 of phones 4 years ago, and had to throw them in the trash to stay current on code, I would not be happy in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
                      If I purchased $100,000 of phones 4 years ago, and had to throw them in the trash to stay current on code, I would not be happy in the least.
                      Ain't that the truth!!

Comment

Just talked this over with one of the guys here. If someone really does not want to purchase new phones but wants ShoreTel 11, it may also be possible to get these phones working on ShoreTel 11. There would be a few limitations, of course, but probably not too much anyone would notice.

It would be nicer if ShoreTel would offer some sort of hardware upgrade path. I could see how that would become a bit expensive, however.

Comment

Come on guys,

Isn't this the brave new world of SIP and IP based telephony ?

If the device is still operating then it should still be supported. We're not asking you to develop new features for 10 year old hardware. We asking you to support it (at a minimum) as you would any SIP device. Only better !! -- cause it is your bloody device.

And if you are going to quit supporting at realease 11 why should we continue to purchase maintenance at release 11. -- Get the point ?

Do the right thing. Support your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
                            Come on guys,

Isn't this the brave new world of SIP and IP based telephony ?

If the device is still operating then it should still be supported. We're not asking you to develop new features for 10 year old hardware. We asking you to support it (at a minimum) as you would any SIP device. Only better !! -- cause it is your bloody device.

And if you are going to quit supporting at realease 11 why should we continue to purchase maintenance at release 11. -- Get the point ?

Do the right thing. Support your hardware.
                            Agreed. Why spend money on maintenance if you can't / won't purchase all new phones for V11?

Comment

Again, while I can understand the frustration and do not necessarily disagree with your premise of 10 year support, there are a great number of programming and engineering issues that make it much more than a management decision to cut off support. If you want the product to continue to grow and acquire new features and better functionality for the feature set it has you are going to have to accept that a phone that was introduced a decade ago. It sucks to have to come up with a way to replace them or stay on a pre-11.1 build of software, but this is not really any different than how everyone else handles this sort of thing, Nortel, Avaya, Cisco, NEC... all of them put out releases of software that make certain phone models no longer work, if you do not want to replace those phones, you do not upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X