Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote sites

I have a question about weighting trunks. Customer has a small remote site with SG50 and 1 copper trunk (For 911 purposes). HQ has multiple PRI's that I would like them to use by default and only use the Analog at the remote site when 911 is dialed. I understand adding custom dial strings for that site but I am not 100% sure on how to make sure when 911 is dialed it uses the local trunk. Does anyone have an example of the custom dial string so they use the HQ first, I believe this is a common setup.

Thanks,

Surely you can just untick all the trunk services except emergency on that trunk group?

Comment

Yes that is a good idea, however what happens if we lose the WAN and I would need to use that trunk for regular calls and not just 911 service. That is why I believe I need to weight them properly. I remember reading how to do this somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Comment

Are all of the sites in the same area code?

If they are not, the standard weighting adjustments are not sufficient (you can only alter it 35 +-) as LD gives you a 220 penalty. It can be done with a custom dial plan so that 911 calls still go out locally but the local line is only used if the WAN isn't available.

Comment

Yes the site is within the same area code. All sites are in the same area code.

Comment

Originally posted by jmitchell View Post
            Yes the site is within the same area code. All sites are in the same area code.
            Well, that makes this much easier....

I'll just keep this simple, since the environment seems to be simple.

Change the weight on the analog trunks to be ;35A and change the PRI at HQ to be ;-35A. Make sure the appropriate user groups have permission to the trunks. Make sure proxy isn't turned on for child sites or 911 could slip out the wrong site depending on system conditions.

Comment

Chris thanks for the reply, proxy is turned on for all the sites. I can turn it off for this site but will I need to for the other sites? Is there a possibilty this will affect anything else?

Comment

Proxy is for 911. If you want your 911 calls to go out a different trunk than the local site trunks (which is usually not the case), then yes.

The group dictates the trunks you have permission to seize.

Comment

Ok so if parent as proxy is checked and someone from that site dials 911, even if there are local trunks available it is going out the HQ trunks? Each site has access to almost all trunk groups.

Comment

No, local trunks are preferred first for 911. If that trunk group is unavailable and parent proxy is enabled, it will go out a parent's site trunks for 911. Depending on the location, it could be a problem. If you are in the same city, it is not as big of a deal (this is a pretty big deal when you cross cities and especially sates). Within the same city, the wrong address would shop up to the PSAP fielding the 911 call.

Comment

Ok now I understand that part of it. Back to my original ques. With this one trunk at a site with a SG switch. The problem I was running into was if I make that trunk available for local, long distance etc when someone from that site makes any sort of call it goes out the analog trunk at that site when I want it to go out the HQ PRI. I thought that if I weighted that trunk and also the main site trunks it would cause problems with them dialing 911. From what I have read, someone mentioned that there is an custom entry that needs to be made so that 911 goes out that local trunk.

Comment

No, that is only when you are doing custom dial plan rules for situations that are a bit more complex than yours. We don't have to deal with long distance penalties because all your sites are in the same area code. Once you start fussing with that, you need to modify dial plan rules for 911.

Comment

Working...
                        X