Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 8.1 to 10.1 (Good Idea?)

I now have a bunch of Windows 7 computers now going on my domain. 8.1 apparently isn't compatible with Windows 7. My question is, is it a good idea to go from 8.1 to 10.1 skipping 9 altogether. Has anyone done this and if so have any problems arisen from it.

Also with 10.1 what are the new features that I can get excited about?

I don't think Win 7 or 64 bit is supported on 10.1 either. With that said, I do think 10.1 works ok with both Win 7 and or 64 bit. It would be nice if we could get some experiences with Win 7 and 64 bit with 10.1.

Comment

Careful upgrading

Careful upgrading if you have a multisite setup. I upgraded a site from 8.1 to 10.1 last week and a number of E1K and 220E1 switches did not come back online. They had to be physically rebooted the next morning. PS: PCM is working on Windows 7 OK for me.

Comment

Wish me luck

I am doing the upgrade this Saturday. I unfortunately have a multi-site setup also. This is what my setup looks like.

HQ - 4 SG-220T1
        - 1 SG-90
        - 1 SG-24A
        - 1 Voice mail server
        - 1 Main ShoreTel server
        Site 1 - 1 SG-90
        Site 2 - 1 SG-90
        Site 3 - 2 SG-220T1A

497 Users all together

I have upgraded the system before but only within version 8, not to a new version. And on top of it I am going to try to do this remotely (its a Saturday and who wants to drive in to work that day). I am going to do a quick backup of the database just in case before. I know the upgrade does that already but as an IT guy paranoia is not a bad thing.

If anyone can think of anything else I should do please let me know. Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

8 to 10

After the upgrade, and before you reboot all your phones, say a prayer to the network gods. Pray that LLDP isnt enabled and not configured, or your phones will go into an endless reboot cycle which will force you to drive to work, find console cables, and go into each switch to disable LLDP.

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
            After the upgrade, and before you reboot all your phones, say a prayer to the network gods. Pray that LLDP isnt enabled and not configured, or your phones will go into an endless reboot cycle which will force you to drive to work, find console cables, and go into each switch to disable LLDP.
            Or, disable it before you upgrade? :detective:

Comment

I have done a update once that required a reboot of the phones. So if this upgrade doesn't change anything to each phone to LLDP I should be OK.

Comment

It does change something: It changes the behavior of phones in regards to LLDP. You will want to disable LLDP first.

Comment

upgrade

I would take this very seriously. All previous upgrades were unaffected by this "feature". If you have LLDP enabled, but not configured, think of this thread when you are in the office at 2am.....

the phones will endlessly reboot.

you have to check EVERY switch you have phones plugged into before you start.

Comment

Instead of saying a prayer to the network gods, why not read the release and build notes before upgrading and be aware of your network configuration? It is always good practice to read all of the release and build notes before an upgrade. If something doesn't look right, talk to your partner before doing the upgrade.

Comment

So this is what I read that was written by a ShoreTel tech.

"I understand the frustration that this issue is causing to all involved. To get to the bottom of this please review the information below :

The root cause of the problem appears to be that when LLDP is enabled on the phone and LLDP is enabled on the network switch and there is a misconfiguration of the network such that there is a duplex mismatch the phones will get into an endless reboot loop. The cause of this problem is not that LLDP is enabled, it is that there is a duplex mismatch; however, having LLDP enabled makes the phone aware of the mismatch and leads it to reboot. Having a duplex mismatch can happen when either the phone or the switch is configured for “auto-negotiate” while the other side is hard configured for full duplex – both sides should be configured for “auto-negotiate” or both should be configured for full duplex. When such a mismatch occurs the phone will generally appear to operate fine – occasionally packets will be dropped which can degrade voice quality or display painting performance; generally due to retransmission of MGCP and packet loss concealment on the RTP stream it won’t be noticed. To alleviate this problem the plan will be to modify the phone firmware to note the mismatch and report it on the LCD, but then continue to boot anyway. Next time you hear of this problem occurring, rather than turning off LLDP in the phone or the switch try adjusting the configuration of the phone or switch network interface to address the root cause. If you find an example where the endless reboot is happening and network configuration is not the cause, please let us know and include as much information as possible about the phone firmware level, the network switch model, and the configuration of the phone and the network switch.

So rather than disabling LLDP please investigate this as described above. Thanks !"

My question is has ShoreTel figured out a way to do a mass LLDP configuration to the phones? Manually turning off LLDP for 497 phones in a 30 mile radius does not sound like a great Saturday.

Comment

LLDP Reboots

It has been documented by several members here, that no misconfiguration need be present. If LLDP is enabled and not configured on the switches, the problem occurs. Shoretel isnt fully aware of the issue, or isnt totally honest IMO.

Take an adtran switch right out of the box, default configuration, set all ports to auto, plug in a phone set to auto, and bam, continuous reboots until you disable LLDP on the adtran switches.

I can reproduce this issue without any duplex mismatch, the phones will actually report a MAC ADDRESS configuration error on the screen.

I would postpone your upgrade until you have personally verified each switch in your environment.

Or you could just do the prayer thing.

They obviously changed the way the phones handle LLDP and forgot to take this scenario into account (switches having lldp enabled but not configured)

Comment

I understand that there are many threads discussing the trouble caused by LLDP in version 9 and up. However, I really don't understand the problem here. In all the release notes I've read from ShoreTel, they clearly state that this is a warning. From a networking standpoint, for LLDP and other services, it is a best practice to either properly configure the service, or disable it if you are not using it. If your phones get stuck in a reboot loop, you were either not planning on using LLDP or it was not configured. Services shouldn't be left turned on by default if they are not being configured and in use as it could lead to security vulnerabilities (maybe not with LLDP specifically, but again, this concept is a best practice). To comepare to Windows, you don't go into Add/Remove Windows components and turn on every single service if you are not using it just to leave it sit there.

Comment

Reboots

I am not as willing to give shoretel a pass on this. Having LLDP enabled but not configured (basically factory defaults for many mainstream POE switches) should not cause a complete system wide failure of their entire phone system.

Could you imaging if you installed Windows XP Service pack 3 and all your workstations began to continuously reboot because telnet was installed but not "configured" you would be pretty pissed at microsoft. Or a better analogy, the QOS packet scheduler on network interfaces. 99.9% of all computers have this "installed" but no one uses QOS on the workstations, nor is it configured. What if everyones pc's started rebooting over and over. Do we really expect admins to disable/remove the QOS packet scheduler on every PC in the world?

I agree in theory that non-used things should be turned off, but Shoretel still dropped the ball here.

Comment

Also read the release notes, and note the changes in the server requirements. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but, we just upgraded a system with 1300 users, and now the HQ server is crashing, because it doesnt meet the minimum hardware requirements for ST10.1...

Comment

Working...
                              X