Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Phones over Internet with out VPN Concentrator

Has anyone gotten IP phone to work using NAT or Port Forwarding? I know the VPN Concentrator works well but I have a customer that doesn’t want to spend that kind of money. Feel free to e-mail me.
    Thanks
    [email protected]

that should be something iffy to test, you are going to have to forward a lot of ports on the client end or get a vpn device. You are going to also have to open their firewall for the ports, give the switch, director amongst other things Public IP's. That may complicate things. Perhaps a pix or watch guard device maybe a better look.

400Degrees.....its my time to shine!

Comment

You'll need to open up about 64,000 ports to the internet...not entirely secure.

Comment

Also, the phone would need access to all shoretel switches and servers, and have a way to convert the private ip to the public one.

Solutions:

VPN Concentrator

Hardware VPN such as a PIX

Softphone

Office Anywhere

Give every ShoreTel Device, all Switches, Servers, and phones that the phone would talk to a public IP address

Comment

We've been using softphone with the Sonicwall VPN client connected to a Sonicwall SSL-VPN with good results on broadband Internet. Had to add routes to the Sonicwall for the voice VLAN for access the switch and server, but that was no biggie. This has provided the mobility necessary to our users, without the need for a phone.

I have used a PIX for site to site VPN with remote users, but it seems that the overhead of IPSEC causes some issues with call quality. I'm exploring other hardware based SSL VPN implementations right now.
          Last edited by Bluesjunkie; 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM. Reason: u

Comment

I didn't think it would be easy. I come from the NEC Inter-Tel and Mitel world and I could just add the NATed address inside the system and the IP phones worked. I tried Nating public's to both the APP server and the 220. Needless to say it didn't work. Trust me I would much rather install the VPN Concentrator, but I don't write the check....LOL. However I have an easier question. What kind of SIP cordless phones have you guy used?

Comment

You may be able to get a consumer grade vpn device. I believe netgear have some. The only other way I see this working price wise is via softphone or a decent consumer grade vpn device.

400Degreez...take two of these and walk it out!

Comment

I agree with 400degreez, it would be cheaper to buy a vpn device, Rather than configure this with nat and port forwarding and spend a lot of time on the issue.

I use the sonicwall for some remote sites for IP phones; it works great.

Comment

Ok, try this one. I dont know what version your are running because if you are below 8.1 you will have to use a sip trunk. You could use the free sip softphone xlite, moreover, your functions will be limited. It has NAT support and it would only need to register with the Registar switch, at that point you could use dynamic dns. Lemme know if you need any help.

400Degreez...take two of these and walk it out!

Comment

Since i'm full of Ideas, you could also use asterisk based trix box too, may get a bit complicated but what the [email protected], it's a complicated world. I know thats like dropping a tactical nuke on a shoplifter but what the hay itz Friday baby.

400Degreez.....take two of these and walk it out.

Comment

I have used xlite and it will work on older versions of ShoreTel before 8.1, it only has to be a Sip Trunk. Second, if you install it, your softphone will not work anymore. Something about registry keys.

Also, you can use asterisk. That's actually not a bad idea. You can use the asterisk box for your remote users, put it in a dmz and all that, and only have to nat the one device, though call manager won't work, and neither will ShoreTel phones, but plenty of sip phones out there...actually, you might find a sip phone with built in VPN and then it could vpn as a sip extension...

Comment

Working...
                      X