Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again... What POE switches do you like?

I need to ask again, what switches do you like to use? I have Adtran switches right now but I think I might be having issues with one or more of them. If I were to switch them out with something else, what would you recommend?
    HP?
    DLINK?
    CISCO?
    NETGEAR?
    ADTRAN?

I current have these Adtran switches and I'm not sure why I was sold these?

Adtran 1335 POE Layer 3
    Adtran 1224ST POE Layer 2
    Adtran 1524 GB Switch

Thanks,
    SA

There have been extensive discussions about this on the board, so worth a search.

Depending on the environment, we implement:

Juniper
    Brocade (Foundry)
    HP Procurve

We use Procurve in smaller and more price sensitive environments where it is 10/100.

Juniper/Brocade in 1Gbps environments or larger environments. In a lot of cases, a Juniper or Brocade will be the core switch for the Procurves.

Comment

Not sure we would qualify as a big network, but I have about 75 users in 5 different buildings. Our network was VLANed when we had the shoretel system installed and our network appears to have slowed since this time. I believe our 1524ST switch is our core as all our servers and other switches connect directly to the 1524ST, but our 1335 is setup as our default gateway on all our phones & PC's. The 1335 & the 1224ST's are suppling POE to all phones as the 1524ST is not a POE.

Does this sound correct for this size network?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumcrazy09 View Post
        Not sure we would qualify as a big network, but I have about 75 users in 5 different buildings. Our network was VLANed when we had the shoretel system installed and our network appears to have slowed since this time. I believe our 1524ST switch is our core as all our servers and other switches connect directly to the 1524ST, but our 1335 is setup as our default gateway on all our phones & PC's. The 1335 & the 1224ST's are suppling POE to all phones as the 1524ST is not a POE.

Does this sound correct for this size network?
        So a 48 port switch in the main building and 24s in the other buildings coming back via 1Gbps fiber?

We don't carry Adtran and never run in to them in competitive situations, so I can't speak to the specific models of their product line.

If your network is laid out in that fashion, I'd go with either a Juniper EX3200/4200 (depending on if you are doing virtualization & 3rd party storage @ the core) in the core or a Procurve 3500yl and then procurve 2610s at the edge (if you are only doing 1gbps).

Comment

Network

Are your workstations running THROUGH the phones?

if so, the 1224st is a 100mb switch, as is probably your phone....

100mbit can seem "slow" for a local network.

I do not like 100mbit to workstations at all..................

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
            Are your workstations running THROUGH the phones?

if so, the 1224st is a 100mb switch, as is probably your phone....

100mbit can seem "slow" for a local network.

I do not like 100mbit to workstations at all..................
            Yes we are 100MB and through the phones. I found this out after the fact unfortunately and that is why if we are going to replace/swap switches I want to make sure I get GB switches for when the phones are replaced.

cburgy -

Close on the layout.
            We have 3 switches at our HQ:

1524ST (24 port) - Core/Main
            1335POE (24 port) connected to the 1524 on GB port
            1224ST POE (24 port) connected to the 1524 on GB port

All other buildings have 1224ST POE (24 port) connected via fiber to 1524

Comment

Take a look at Extreme switches, that is our switch of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by southeasternMI View Post
                Take a look at Extreme switches, that is our switch of choice.

Never heard of them. You've had good luck with them I presume?

Comment

Yes we are 100MB and through the phones. I found this out after the fact unfortunately and that is why if we are going to replace/swap switches I want to make sure I get GB switches for when the phones are replaced.

cburgy -

Close on the layout.
                  We have 3 switches at our HQ:

1524ST (24 port) - Core/Main
                  1335POE (24 port) connected to the 1524 on GB port
                  1224ST POE (24 port) connected to the 1524 on GB port

All other buildings have 1224ST POE (24 port) connected via fiber to 1524
                  Gigabit to the desktop is probably overkill for your environment. You'll need to run seperate drops to the PCs or replacement your phones with the 230G, 560g or 565g models? Are you HEAVY file transfer users (frequently working on files over 100mb) or heavy video users?

If you are going to go Gig to the desktop, then are you going to go 10Gb from your access to core switch? Do you have single mode fiber? If you have multi-mode, there are distance limitations for the remote switches.

At the core, I would go 1x Juniper EX4200-48P and 1 x EX4200-24P. At the edge, I'd go Juniper EX3200-24P. You can aggregate up to 6x 10Gb into the EX4200 Virtual Chassis and the chassis can be expanded up to 10 switches. The stack acts like a true chassis switch with redundant management modules.

Comment

Switches

Sometimes (many times) it is cheaper to run separate cabling to the workstations (and user regular gig switches) than it is to get gigabit poe switches and gigabit phones. Then you also get around the pc through the phone issue, and all the fun that brings.

Just something to keep in mind.

You dont have gigabit phones do you? Replacing all your phones is not going to be cheap................

I really like the adtran switches. As long a you get updated firmware to avoid phones losing power/rebooting themselves randomly, they are great units.

Comment

Never heard of them. You've had good luck with them I presume?
                      Sure, look at the bottom of Gartner... about an 1/8th of an inch above Nortel.

http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/legac...ner_LAN_MQ.pdf

Comment

We do not have heavy users (at least not what I consider heavy users) here, our engineering department would be the heaviest users with autocad, but for the most part it is your basic office apps and some database apps.

I thought of the additional drops and not running through the phones as I do have several Netgear GB switches that are no longer being used since we added the Shoretel. And since we do have the 230's I have tested running the phones over CAT 3 cabling (which each office does have from our old phone system) and it does work. I just have not decided to try it in a complete building yet, but I just might try it now.

Comment

We use Extreme on our network. I like them and recommend them.

Comment

cabling

As an alternative to using the cat3, you can split your one cat5 wire into two separate drops. You only use 4 of the wires for each drop... 1,2,3,6

i wouldnt do it on a large scale, but if you have a few problem users, there is no issue. You could get your few problem users setup on gigabit and see if it makes any difference for them. If it doesnt, then you know not to waste your time and money on new switches, phones, etc etc.

We have done it may times in tough situations. Both drops will certify and pass all tests.

it would take a good cable guy about 5 minutes per side. You could do one and test.......

While not "recommended", it is probably better than using one cat5 and one cat3.

Even in an existing building, our cable guy will run drops at $150 per drop.... into existing boxes, etc. It almost ALWAYS ends up way damn cheaper than switches, workarounds, and gigabit phones........

Comment

Thanks eazeaz.

Comment

Working...
                              X