Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Phones Failover across sites

Enable IP Phone Failover: When this box is checked, IP phones send a keep-alive
    message to their Call Manager switch every four minutes. If a response is not received,
    the IP phone attempts to contact an alternate Call Manager.

Anyone know if this is true across sites (WAN), if so what about the IP Phone address maps?

Would selecting Teleworkers allow phones in different maps to registor at a different site?

This applies for the switches that are managing the phones. If you don't have switches at a local site and they are traversing the WAN for call control, then they would heartbeat to those switches.

Comment

Ok, so this only applies to phones that traverse the WAN for for call control and if you have local switches then you can throw this out the window.

Comment

Phones will fail over to another switch at the same site if there is enough capacity. They just can't fail over to a switch at a different site. In order to take advantage of fail over you need N+1 at each site.

Comment

Is this still the case in 9.2 ? Our VAR is saying "IP Phone Failover" will work to a parent site in the hierarchical tree but I have my doubts after reading up on the subject ?!

Comment

Previously, IP Phone Failover only worked within the context of a site in Shoretel. If you had no switches at a site, they would leverage failover capabilities of whatever site was handling them.

In 9.0, Shoretel added the ability to failover to a parent site. This is done by defining a "Spare" (meaning, it is a cold switch and can not be performing any live function) at the parent site to whatever child sites connect to it.

In the event of a failure, the spare switch will replace the function of the failed switch at the child site. The failback is not automated, meaning you need to move the phones back to the repaired original switch (automated wouldn't be good anyway). Once the spare switch takes over for a child site, it can only service that site. Meaning, if you had 20 child sites with only 1 spare switch, a second failure would not have resources available.

It's a good function to provide a cost-effective backup for smaller sites.

Comment

Yes, this is the case in all versions going forward. Version 9.0 features carried into 9.1 and 9.2.

The ONLY difference for feature parity is with Shoretel's new release cycle. Platform releases are co-developed with feature releases. Meaning, if you are running the Shoretel 10.0 beta, it does not have the features from Shoretel 9.1 and 9.2 (but it does have 9.0 features). The release train will be merged in 10.1 and all 9.1 and 9.2 features will be ported it.

With failover, it is important that you allocate a STANDBY (called spare in Director) switch. It CAN NOT be a switch in production with resources allocated to it.

It works, I promise you. I personally watched our engineers test this particular feature. We've beta tested for Shoretel for years, we are part of a small focus group that provides feedback to Shoretel PM on the features and we test all the new features that come out before it hits a production release.

Comment

Thank you, again, for the clarification on this matter. Seems our VAR is partly right because they are saying failover will occur to a parent site (correct) and will use free resources on any switch there (false).

I'll go and badger them about selling us this config as fully redundant then :_rolleyes:

Comment

So IP phone failover needs to be enabled (checked) and a spare switch configured at parent site?
                  If a child site switch fails it will only fail to Spare parent site switch? The Spare parent site switch will act as child site switch and won't or can't handle another failover from a different child site? So the parent site would need a spare switch for each child site if they want to be truely redundent? You have to manually register phones back to child site?

Just trying to clarify, are may statements correct??

Comment

Originally posted by southeasternMI View Post
                    So IP phone failover needs to be enabled (checked) and a spare switch configured at parent site?
                    If a child site switch fails it will only fail to Spare parent site switch? The Spare parent site switch will act as child site switch and won't or can't handle another failover from a different child site? So the parent site would need a spare switch for each child site if they want to be truely redundent? You have to manually register phones back to child site?

Just trying to clarify, are may statements correct??
                    Yes, you need a spare switch configured at the parent site.

Yes, it will only fail up to a spare switch at the parent site.

Yes, it will act as the child switch during failure. It is a manual process to move back.

No, it can't handle a failure at a different child site once it has provided this service to the first child site failure.

No, you don't need a spare switch for every site. It is like an insurance policy in some regards. You buy coverage based on what you need. Statistically speaking, if you have 100 childs sites. The likelihood of two child sites experiencing a FAILED switch during the same time period is pretty low. The likelihood would decrease expotentially as you forecast additional failures.

In a 100 site environment, I would probably architecture just two spare switches. Keep in mind, you should architect for the largest child switch you would need to accomodate (i.e. if you used a 220T1 for provide 220 IP phone capacity, you should use a 220t1 as your spare).

Comment

In my example, I assumed that the 100 child sites would all have HQ as parent. The reality if your design may be much different depending on your network architecture. You might have multiple HUBS with DVS server and child sites under each hub. In that scenario, you'd place SPARE switches at the hubs.

Comment

IP Phone Failover

When the IP Phone Failover is enabled and there are spare resources available on a voice switch at the remote site and a spare voice switch is installed and configured at the headquarters location will the phones failover locally first? The remote sites spare resources would not be configured as a spare switch and just have spare capacity.

Dan Vanderhoff

Comment

Yes, IP Phone Failover prefers any available capacity at the local site first and then will fail over to a parent site that has a spare switch (or switches) configured.

Comment

In a hierarchical site structure, i.e. having "hub" sites with other sites "below" them as described, do the spare switches then have to be at each of the hub sites?

In other words, if we were to put a couple of spare switches in the top-level "HQ" site, would a failed switch at a remote site be able to failover up to the top of the tree to one of those centralized spares, or would it only check the immediate parent (i.e. the nearest hub site)?

Comment

Working...
                            X