Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShoreTel Demo Kit Problems

We have a ShoreTel demo kit that we upgraded to 8.1 and loaded VMWare for Windows Server 2003.

Everything works fine except for the voicemail prompts skipping when they're played. It's very slight and doesn't happen at the same place. Sometimes the skipping is hardly noticeable...sometimes it's really bad. If you were an average user and checking voicemail, you'd probably never even notice it. But, when you're giving a demo, generally our sales guys let the canned prompts play.

I've got 3GB of RAM in the laptop that's running WinXP Pro. The skipping happens when PCM on the laptop side isn't even running.

Also spoke to ShoreTel who said that if I'm going to run both on one laptop, this is going to happen.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else is experiencing this problem. My sales staff is on me to fix it but I'm wondering if there really is a fix at all for it. Sounds like a memory issue but with 3GB and 1GB assigned to the VM, I would think it would be fine. Also, I've played around with memory allocation with no success.

Just want to see if anyone else out there has the same issue with their setup. Thanks!

One of our older demo kits had this problem. Solution was:

4GB of ram (max for Windows 2003 32-bit)
    dual-core processor
    laptop with 7200rpm drive
    VMWare server 2.0

Works just fine now. The processor and hard drive made a huge difference.

Comment

Nice. Thanks Chris. I'll give that a shot.

I really thought 3GB was sufficient but I guess I'll throw another Gig in there and check the speed on the HD. It might be 5400.

Comment

I believe you need to give your VMWare machine a dedicated NIC. Our SE runs his demo on a laptop with a PCMCIA network adapter. The VMware machine is bound to the PCMCIA adapter and the client apps on the laptop use the built in NIC as usual.

Comment

[QUOTE=sparkomatic;8032]Sounds like a memory issue but with 3GB and 1GB assigned to the VM, I would think it would be fine. Also, I've played around with memory allocation with no success.
          /QUOTE]

As I understand it, the problem is actually to do with QoS. Because VMWare and the Host operating system have no way to negotiate who gets priority on the NIC. In theory adding a second NIC to the laptop and then giving the VMWare machine exclusive use of the other NIC will solve this.

Comment

In normal ESX environments, this is absolutely the case because the server hardware is sufficient for virtualization and the hypervisor sits inbetween the hardware. This issue will be eliminated with the relase of VI 4.0 as ESX will be able to gaurantee qos with their new vSwitch/vNetwork technology.

VMWare Server is a much different beast since it sits on top of Windows and doesn't have direct access to the hardware. Running it on a single core proc on a LAPTOP (which are not as well off as desktops for the sake of size) with limited hard drive speed and memory causes great issues.

Comment

Working...
            X