Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoretel Build Notes Concerns

Maybe it's just me, but everytime I read the product defects on new releases I am scared to upgrade. A lot of these releases including the GA ones seem to have some pretty big issues. I know that maybe a particular issue was only found at one customers site, but it causes concern. For example...from the latest GA release of 7.5:

- Intermittently T1 losing framing, and unable to make/receive calls.

- Every few days 1 Distributed Voice Mail Server stops responding and requires a restart.

-Call Manager connection will at times disconnect and then reconnect.

-One call manager on a system is unable to Connect.

-220T1 Froze due to an address exception (data access) in task TMSCommand.

-ECC was not working, calls ringing to backup Huntgroup.

-Workgroup services are crashing.

-SG-50 switches with Analog lines drop calls 10% of the time.

-Users on One Remote Site unable to change Call Handling Mode.

-Phones are displaying the wrong caller ID.

Do you all find that these issues are fairly isolated as indicated or should they be valid concerns not to upgrade? Also, are these issues isolated to this particular release? Some of the previous releases do not indicate some of the same issues. Is that because the issue weren't discovered or was it broken with the newer release?

I would say that these issues are moderately isolated. Some depends on which compnents you use, obviously. I mean, if you don't have ECC or a SG 220, you can isolate that from the picture immediately. then, in most instances, whats left is stuff that somebody has reported. I have alot of customers on 7.5, and I have no complaints about any of these issues.

Charles

Comment

Build Notes

Read the build notes of the version you are on. Probably just as scary.

We try to stay very current on our code. I beleive that we avoid more problems than we introduce.....

Comment

In most cases, the issues are fairly isolated. I can't say that I agree with the way the build notes are formatted.

I've raised the issue with product management a few different times over the past couple years. No luck yet. I guess I will just have to keep trying.

Personally, I think that we need a severity and impact column in the release notes. Serverity being obvious, impact would give us an idea of how wide ranging this is with the customer base (i.e. isolated to widespread).

Generally, our customers stay pretty up to date. We have been bitten really hard on a few different occassions by builds that truly were not ready for release.

The QA department has made tremendous progress during this calendar year. It was a little rough while they were short-staffed.

Comment

I'm the first to admitt I am big fan of ShoreTel, but the 8.0 code is just horrible. We have had 6 or 7 new installs that we have loaded 8.0 and have nothing but issues with that code. We have even debated on installing 7.5 on any new installs until 8.1 is GA.

Comment

I've noticed that they use the title of the ticket in our system to create the known issues list. The issue is usually never nearly as dramatic at it sounds on paper. Usually it's a "if you add a user during high tide while Jupiter is aligned with Venus" kind of thing.

Comment

We've had a large number of problems with 8.0 here as well, including the very first botched upgrade I'd ever experienced. Everything is running fine now for most of my customers, although I've had some repeated Call Manager and Softphone issues.

Comment

Personal Call Manager 8

We have not been happy with Call Manager v. 8 as it is really bogging down systems. Especially some of the customer who have PC's with 1GB or less ram.

Is there a way to speed up the Call Manager v8 loaded each time? The complaints from customers is it take too long to load.

Hoping next version is a little smaller in footprint on some of these issues.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepointe View Post
                  We have not been happy with Call Manager v. 8 as it is really bogging down systems. Especially some of the customer who have PC's with 1GB or less ram.

Is there a way to speed up the Call Manager v8 loaded each time? The complaints from customers is it take too long to load.

Hoping next version is a little smaller in footprint on some of these issues.

Thanks.

ShoreTel 8.x is now using using .NET this seems to really slow the machines down.

We have ran into this and we also noticed the Celeron cpu's do not work well with .NET. They just can not process fast enough for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X