Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST8.1 - Estimated release date? Still in controlled release?

Hello -

Just wanted some confirmation if ShoreTel 8.1 is still in controlled relase. My boss saw this article:

ShoreTel News

and now seems to think that it's in general release and wants me to upgrade our system. Can someone please let me know so I can relay this info to him. He doesn't seem to believe our re-seller.

Also, if someone knows what the estimated "general release" date that would be great.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gnakas; 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM.

Yes, still in controlled release.

Comment

Here is the proof from the website

Hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

8.1 will hit GA in December or January.

Comment

What is the procedure for obtaining the release as an end user? Do I call my vendor and request it?

Comment

To obtain a new version of ShoreTel you will need to contact your Reseller.

It is not a project to be taken lightly unless you have a very small deployment, amongst other things:
            When you upgrade you will need to deploy a new version of call manager to all your users.
            Call Manager in 8.1 requires a higher spec PC to run on.
            If you are multi-site, all sites need to be upgraded at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoreTel_Dave View Post
              To obtain a new version of ShoreTel you will need to contact your Reseller.

It is not a project to be taken lightly unless you have a very small deployment, amongst other things:
              When you upgrade you will need to deploy a new version of call manager to all your users.
              Call Manager in 8.1 requires a higher spec PC to run on.
              If you are multi-site, all sites need to be upgraded at the same time.
              or send an email to [email protected]

I agree, one of the biggest draw back on upgrades is the Vender/ShoreTel/Customer IT not understanding or truly explaining the changes and needs in these new releases.

Bottom line, CR = Beta, no matter how or what or who tells you CR is beta. ShoreTel sends CR software out with every new install, Customers already on the latest GA build do not get this software unless the 1: Sign a Controlled release agreement or 2: Beta Agreement

It is my experience CR builds are far more stable then GA (At Times) it depends on the QA process, and that in it self is a... Well lets say less then ... Well lets just leave that alone.

I would advise new customers to ask to be installed on the Latest GA build not the CR build shipped with new systems. Many times the CR build shipped is not the latest offered and is more then just a couple releases behind.

MAKE SURE if you are the adventurous type, MAKE SURE you understand the Server requirements, OS requirements and understand the Beta and CR release agreements. In those Agreements, you must install / upgrade to each new iteration of CR or Beta during those trials. If you fall back on them, the first thing you will be required to do is UPGRADE.

Many times a new feature/hardware/phone will be introduced during CR, the standard practice is to label the same build beta and give this to those who are in Beta Agreement. Same software different label

Comment

Working...
              X