Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with forwarding to external number

I am running 14.2, Build 19.43.1700.0. When we go to off hours, the system is set to forward all calls to an external answering service. I need to change the answering service number to which it forwards. But no matter what I do, it keeps calling the same number. I'm currently just using call handling on the receptionist extension to control that. I changed it up and created a new extension, i tried a route point, I moved it back to business hours and manually set it to forward to another number. Pretty much anything I try, it will only use that old number. Has anyone ever seen that?
    Last edited by ttown1079; 02-10-2020, 07:08 PM.

Best guess is the forward point you are changing is not really where the call is coming into. Might want to open the trunk test tool and confirm what ext. the call is hitting when it enters the system. It could be using the default answer point or something like that.

Comment

Thanks very much for the response. I’ll try that but when I put it back in business hours to test it and manually changed the call handling mode of the target extension, the call handling changed as expected so it would seem that’s It’s routing the way I think it is. But I’m out of time very soon. They told me about this Friday and it must be done by Wednesday.

Comment

I just checked. The Inside-ID is the Receptionist extension. I feel like a crazy person because this thing is just dialing a different number than what is set in Director. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

I would reassign your DID to a different destination to confirm you have the right path.
          Lance Paddock
          BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
          1(800) 289-0299

Comment

I tried that already. I created a whole new extension and set it to always forward to the new number. Same problem - it called the old number.

Comment

As a sanity check, i checked and can manually place a call from a extension handset to the new destination. This is perplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by ttown1079 View Post
                I tried that already. I created a whole new extension and set it to always forward to the new number. Same problem - it called the old number.
                Your wrong destination is likely the default trunk group destination. Can you call inbound directly to any assigned DID?
                Lance Paddock
                1(800) 289-0299

Comment

I can. I set a secondary DID to go to my new extension so I can test it without interrupting business operations. I was able to call it just fine but with the extension set to forward to my cell phone, it still goes to the old external answering service. With the extension set to forward to another internal extension, it works just fine. When i change it back to my cell phone number, it goes back to calling the old, wrong, number.

Its like any extension with an external forward is broken. It only goes to that 1 number. I can't find a good way to troubleshoot that (logs, etc.).

Comment

One thing I don't understand is how, on the new extension, its forwarding to the wrong number. That wrong number has never been set as the forwarding destination on that extension. Where is it getting that info?

Comment

Maybe worth noting that we are using DNIS for incoming routing. But that seems to be working just fine.

Comment

How can I determine what number is actually being called on the forward?

Comment

Originally posted by ttown1079 View Post
                          One thing I don't understand is how, on the new extension, its forwarding to the wrong number. That wrong number has never been set as the forwarding destination on that extension. Where is it getting that info?
                          Was your test done from outside of the phone system? You want to avoid local routing overriding DID routing.

What I would do:
                          • Make a new extension with a verified 3 rings to voicemail.
                          • Assign that user a DID.
                          • Open the trunk test tool to confirm my route goes where we think.
                          • Call the DID from my cellphone and let it hit the voicemail.
                          • Then I would change my user's call handling to out of the office to confirm I can directly hit the voicemail. again, from an external number.
                          • If everything passed, I would then change my always destination to an external number that is not in the phone system and see what happens
                          • If it fails i would investigate my call path through the trunk test tool and a trunk detail report to confirm.

Lance Paddock
                          1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Thank you for the assistance.

Yes, I'm testing from offsite.

I created DID 751, set it to Standard Call Handling, and assigned it DID (through DNIS). Here is what I saw (voicemail after 3 rings):

16:27:00.689: Port Idle --> Ringing
                            ----------------------------------------
                            16:27:00.868: Call State Idle --> Ringback
                            16:27:00.868: Inside-ID Unknown --> 751 (Answering Service)
                            16:27:00.868: Outside-ID Unknown --> +1xxxxxxxxxx (redacted)
                            16:27:18.898: Inside-ID 751 (Answering Service) --> 614 (Voice Mail)
                            16:27:18.950: Call State Ringback --> Connected
                            16:27:19.045: Hook On Hook --> OFF Hook
                            16:27:19.100: Port Ringing --> Answering
                            16:27:19.108: Port Answering --> Established
                            16:27:27.327: Port Established --> Releasing
                            16:27:27.346: Hook OFF Hook --> On Hook
                            16:27:27.363: Call State Connected --> Idle
                            16:27:27.417: Port Releasing --> Idle

Next, I changed it to Out of Office and here is what I saw (voicemail after 1 ring):

16:30:42.776: Port Idle --> Ringing
                            16:30:42.951: Call State Idle --> Ringback
                            16:30:42.951: Inside-ID Unknown --> 751 (Answering Service)
                            16:30:42.951: Outside-ID Unknown --> +1xxxxxxxxxx (redacted)
                            16:30:49.004: Inside-ID 751 (Answering Service) --> 614 (Voice Mail)
                            16:30:49.071: Call State Ringback --> Connected
                            16:30:49.151: Hook On Hook --> OFF Hook
                            16:30:49.213: Port Ringing --> Answering
                            16:30:49.224: Port Answering --> Established
                            16:30:53.484: Port Established --> Releasing
                            16:30:53.508: Hook OFF Hook --> On Hook
                            16:30:53.535: Port Releasing --> Idle
                            16:30:53.551: Call State Connected --> Idle

Next, I assigned the external number to always be used on the Extended Absence mode. Here is what I saw (went straight to the different, wrong external number):

16:32:26.765: Port Idle --> Ringing
                            16:32:26.939: Call State Idle --> Proceeding
                            16:32:26.939: Inside-ID Unknown --> 751 (Answering Service)
                            16:32:26.939: Outside-ID Unknown --> +1xxxxxxxxxx (redacted)
                            16:32:27.248: Call State Proceeding --> Idle
                            16:32:27.325: Port Ringing --> Releasing
                            16:32:27.341: Port Releasing --> Idle

The trunk test tool output is above and on the last scenario, is not useful (unless there is a more verbose mode of which I'm unaware). The trunk detail report shows my incoming calls but does not show the ultimate destination (voicemail, external foward #, etc.).

This seems like it should be very easy to address but against all odds, its not. The only other thing I guess I can do is call the company providing the PRI and see what number they see outgoing.

I would welcome any advice or workarounds.

Comment

look at the user activity detail report with internal extensions enabled and confirm the paths. Then run a Trunk detail report and find the external number and what dialed it.
                              Last edited by Lance; 02-11-2020, 05:30 PM.
                              Lance Paddock
                              1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Working...
                              X