Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kari's Law and Ray Baum's Act

Have you confirmed your phone system is compliant with Kari's law and Ray Baum's Act? It goes into effect February 16, 2020 in the U.S.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...C-353961A1.pdf

These two laws require all businesses that use a multiline telephone system to enable direct dial 9-1-1 calling, emergency notification, and a dispatchable location.

I know our ShoreTel/Mitel Connect system can directly dial 911 without needing the prefix however our receptionist is not notified when someone calls 911. How are you all accomplishing this?

As far as the Ray Baum's piece, we send the DID as CESID, however i'm not sure our provider has an accurate location for each DID. I'll be checking with them to determine their recommendation.

Originally posted by ericdbarth View Post
    Have you confirmed your phone system is compliant with Kari's law and Ray Baum's Act? It goes into effect February 16, 2020 in the U.S.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...C-353961A1.pdf

These two laws require all businesses that use a multiline telephone system to enable direct dial 9-1-1 calling, emergency notification, and a dispatchable location.

I know our ShoreTel/Mitel Connect system can directly dial 911 without needing the prefix however our receptionist is not notified when someone calls 911. How are you all accomplishing this?

As far as the Ray Baum's piece, we send the DID as CESID, however i'm not sure our provider has an accurate location for each DID. I'll be checking with them to determine their recommendation.
    To send a notification of a 911 call in the on-site system you can set up a system notification for Event ID 1319.

When someone calls 911 the system will generate event ID 1319 under application events and email the specified user. This will tell you what extension dialed 911 and when.
    Last edited by Lance; 02-05-2020, 04:00 PM.
    Lance Paddock
    BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
    1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Thanks Lance, I appreciate the information. We had other event notifications set up, so I've added 1319 as one of the events to filter and alarm on.

I did some additional research on these laws and it there is verbiage indicating that it only applies to systems installed after the Feb 16th date - - “...the effective date provision states that Kari’s Law “shall apply with respect to a multi-line telephone system that is manufactured, imported, offered for first sale or lease, first sold or leased, or installed after” February 16, 2020. ((Federal Communications Commission. (2019))."

Certainly doesn't hurt to have these things in place even if it doesn't specifically apply. Also a good time to review your 911 configuration if you haven't in a while.

Comment

Working...
      X