Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phones dying left and right

We have been having issues with some of our phones dying. It's completely randomly and the only way to fix these phones is replace them. Our system is about 9 or 10 years old and seems to be only the original phones that die we can go months without an issue then have a dead phone. We have had about 20 phones die all different issues from intermittent where the phone just goes blank to the phone wont boot but lit up screen.

Is this normal? has anyone had this issue before? I have checked with our vendor support they claim its either a bad batch of phones or Switch POE issues. I have checked the POE all looks fine I have also installed a POE inline digital reader and it never really fluctuates. What should the POE input be? what is a high POE input number?

I do suspect that it may be the switches since the phones are a mix of 565 and 560G and regardless I will be updating the switches this year they are all HP Pro-curve 3500s.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much appreciated.

If your having issues across multiple switches, do you have any way of throwing a batch on a different switch or PoE injectors? Just because they are different models does not mean they don't share a bunch of internal components that came from the same batch supplied to ShoreTel. If they are the same vintage I would think that is as likely as the switches, and at the 10 year mark, those are getting old. They are not like the old Nortel and Avaya phones, these things have a lot more going on, I think the days of handsets lasting 20-25 years is long gone.
    Randy Wensmann
    [email protected]
    (408) 385-3485
    www.btxchange.com

Comment

I certainly could put some POE injectors on. However its so random when the phones die could be 6 months before 1 of our 70 dies then 2 will die in a week then no problems for awhile again. My vendor support makes it sound like these things never die.

Comment

If its that few don't bother, just buy some used phones to have on the shelf as cheap replacements if you don't have them under maintenance. Don't even bother replacing the PoE switches replacing 5-10 phones a year with used ones is far cheaper then your time and energy messing with them and newer switches.
        Randy Wensmann
        [email protected]
        (408) 385-3485
        www.btxchange.com

Comment

We've been experiencing the same thing over the past 12 months or so. All 560G phones. Our POE switch shows "over current indication" which suggests a power issue on the device. Only recourse I've found is to replace them. We've been going with the 480G's, although we would consider refurbs. Has anyone purchased 560G refurbs anywhere? Thanks!

Comment

I've been trying to figure out if my phones are dying or if I have a different problem. It started with a few phones after a power failure several months ago. They could not hear outside callers but the caller could hear them. Over the last 4 or 5 months I've had 5 -10 phones present similar symptoms. In the last 2 weeks I've had a handful of people that are having issues across the WAN but no problem with outside calls or calls within the our HQ site. Everything in the environment has been rebooted more than once. I have moved users from 1 network switch to another. I have checked default gateways of servers and switches. I have forced them over to a different SG90. Nothing works. Replace the phone...all is fine. Not sure if I'm missing something or it really is a weird failure of the phone. (Most phones are IP230 approximately 10 years old)

Comment

One way voice is almost always a network or a configuration issue. The only way to know for sure is to see what happens in a packet capture.
              Lance Paddock
              BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
              1(800) 289-0299

Comment

Originally posted by arthurnegrete View Post
                We've been experiencing the same thing over the past 12 months or so. All 560G phones. Our POE switch shows "over current indication" which suggests a power issue on the device. Only recourse I've found is to replace them. We've been going with the 480G's, although we would consider refurbs. Has anyone purchased 560G refurbs anywhere? Thanks!
                eBay is your friend

Comment

I have had this happen also, but more so with IP230 phones. We ordered around 200 for one site and after 5 years 25% have gone bad. The IP560 last longer, but around the 10 year mark they do start to die.

Comment

Working...
                  X