No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Service / Number Porting Question

Hello,

My company has been with a carrier for several years for our telephony. We recently decided to make a switch and port our numbers to a new provider. Our old service was brought in on a traditional PRI circuit with 23 channels.

The new service will be a PRI handoff, but will only have 10 channels.

Is this change as easy as just switching the cables once the port is complete on the Shoretel equipment? All the programming is obviously in the Shoretel box. Can anyone provide me any additional information, because our current provider is being very difficult since we are leaving.

Pretty simple ...just move the cable and change the switch programming in Director so you only have 10 channels... assuming everything else is the same i.e framing, line coding, switch type, etc......Also make sure the match the number of digits being sent, otherwise you will have a bit more work on your hands if your say set to receive 4 but they are sending 10 ....
    Last edited by Soulsanctu; 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

PRIs will typically use the same framing/Coding, NI2, ESF B8ZS.. The things that usually go wrong;
      - Wrong number of incoming digits sent (as mentioned). Tell the carrier how many digits you want to see.
      - Outbound Caller ID causes the call to be dropped. Usually you will see this with external assignments or simi-ring, where Shoretel sends the outgoing caller ID top match the incoming caller's ID
      - T1 requires Crossover. Sometimes the a carrier's equipment will require a cross-over T1 cable. Don't grab an Ethernet cross-over. It won't work.

Test all inbound and outbound calls before the tech leaves (assuming that the new carrier is sending a tech onsite for the cut). It is easier for them to call to get it fixed rather then making a call after they leave. Test local, Long distance, international (if not blocked) and 911. If you had any analog lines, such as faxes and alarm lines, make sure that they are still analog lines, and were not ported to the PRI.

Comment

I would also suggest testing DTMF on outbound as well as inbound calls if you're using any auto-attendants.

Comment

If they send a different amount of digits than what was previously programmed MAKE THEM CHANGE IT! It's way more simpler than you having to accommodate the change. I've never had a carrier not do this for me - no is not an acceptable answer.

Comment

Working...
          X