Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 digit dialing (ShoreTel automatically adding area code to 7-digit dials)

Greetings,

After dialing 9 for an outside line, when dialing a local number that starts with any of the local area codes other than the one we are in (we have multiple here), after 7 digits it pops our area code in front of those seven digits to make 10, and initiates the call. We have had 10 digit dialing in our area for many years and there would never be a reason for anyone to dial a 7 digit number.

In our trunk group settings we have our main area code listed under "local area code," and other local area codes below under "additional local area codes"

I would think this would be the "Dial 7 digits for local area code" option on this same screen, but it is definitely unchecked in every trunk group.

Any idea why this is happening or how to make it stop? Thank you!

I have 2 suggestions;
    1) Dial the number while on-hook, and then pickup the handset, or speaker. You can dial all 10 digits without interruption
    2) Add a 1 before the phone number. Then the phone will know to expect 1 + 10 digits. You can have the Shoretel system strip the 1 before the call goes to the carrier with the setting
    Remove leading 1 for Local Area Codes

Comment

When you dial from the phone the fist thing that happens is it always formats the number to +1xxxxxxxxxx.. Doesn't matter if you dial 10 digits or 7 digits. If you dialed 7 digits then it is going to plug in the local area code as defined. Next thing it does is hand it off to the trunk group to look at the digit manipulation. Here it will either strip the 1 or the area code as needed.

Comment

Hi, thank you for the responses.

Originally posted by Soulsanctu View Post
        Doesn't matter if you dial 10 digits or 7 digits.
        I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this -- the problem is we can't dial 10 digits. Trying to dial a 10 digit local number jams in our area code into the beginning immediately when you hit the 7th digit, even though we are dialing a local area code. Unless it happens to be the same area code as our main number.

I'm hoping the solution isn't that users have to dial 1 before local numbers -- that's going to be difficult to communicate when we've been using 10 digit dialing for local calls here (without needing to dial 1) for a decade. Likewise, phones responding to 7-digit dials is ancient history.

Dialing with the handset down is also not great. I'm sure everyone in I.T. can remember these tricks but they are a tough sell for regular users throughout the company.

I do appreciate the suggestions! Just hoping for better.

Comment

Originally posted by carlshere View Post
          Dialing with the handset down is also not great. I'm sure everyone in I.T. can remember these tricks but they are a tough sell for regular users throughout the company.
          I don't really think that this is an I.T.trick. It's just a different way to use the phone. I prefer to dial on-hook because it gives me a chance to verify the phone number before sending out the call, in case I miss-dialed.

I know all about user complaints regarding a new way to dial. I always try to accommodate the users as much as possible, but generally most users are able to adapt pretty well (with a few exceptions). People learned to dial a 9, which is not required on home phones, or some other PBX systems. I have heard many times after a phone migration "Do I always have to dial 9 first?", and "I used to just pickup a line."

I don't have another answer regarding dialing from a phone. The phone has less intelligence then the Shoretel server, or the desktop client in terms of dialing phone number. It is going to make an assumption on when the user has entered a valid number and then will immediately send that number to the Shoretel switch to initiate the call based on the dialing rule. I am not aware of any way to change the phone's own live dialing rules, but I found that is is best not to assume that this is impossible.

Comment

Fair enough regarding dialing 1 first etc. If we have to do that, then so be it.

The phone taking control after dialing 7 digits on the other hand is more problematic, as it leads people to unwittingly dial random phone numbers. 7 digit dialing just isn't a thing and hasn't been for a long time. If it is at all possible to turn that off, we want to. No one here will ever dial 7 digits for anything and I can only assume most metropolitan areas in the U.S. are the same at this point.

Comment

Fair enough regarding dialing 1 first etc. If we have to do that, then so be it.

The phone taking control after dialing 7 digits on the other hand is more problematic, as it leads people to unwittingly dial random phone numbers. 7 digit dialing just isn't a thing and hasn't been for a long time. If it is at all possible to turn that off, we want to. No one here will ever dial 7 digits for anything and I can only assume most metropolitan areas in the U.S. are the same at this point.
              ""7 digit dialing isn't a thing".. all depends on where the system is...My entire state has been 7 digit dialing my entire life and still is....I work on systems all over the country and see it quite often...

Comment

Hi, thank you for the responses.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this -- the problem is we can't dial 10 digits. Trying to dial a 10 digit local number jams in our area code into the beginning immediately when you hit the 7th digit, even though we are dialing a local area code. Unless it happens to be the same area code as our main number.

I'm hoping the solution isn't that users have to dial 1 before local numbers -- that's going to be difficult to communicate when we've been using 10 digit dialing for local calls here (without needing to dial 1) for a decade. Likewise, phones responding to 7-digit dials is ancient history.

I do appreciate the suggestions! Just hoping for better.
                Ahh ok ... sorry missed that fact there....It really sounds like there is something amiss in the site vs trunk area code tables.

Comment

How to Make 10 Digit Dialing Work for Local and Long Distance Calls

Sep 25, 2017•FAQANSWER

Many users like to dial local and long distance numbers just as they do on their cell phone with 10 digits only.
                  This is allowed in the system but only with On-Hook dialing or via Communicator.
                  On-Hook dialing is selecting/entering the number and then going off-hook via Speaker key, Headset, Handset, or Dial button in Communicator.
                  When trying to dial a 10 digit LD number with the Off-Hook method, after dialing only 7 numbers the phone stops accepting digits and adds the local area code to the front on the LD call.

When you Off-Hook dial from the IP Phone (hearing dial tone before dialing number) the digits are analyzed as you dial.
                  On-Hook dialing analyzes the entire number

In North America, there are two lines in the Sites Dial plan that cover this type of call.

<[2-9]XXXXXXXXX>+MX.G This string says take any number 10 digits long starting with a 2through a 9 and add a "+" and a "1" (M=Country code) to the front of the number.

<[2-9]XXXXXX>+MNX.G This string says take any number 7 digits long starting with a 2 through a 9 and add a "+" then a "1" (M=Country code) and the local area code (N= Site Local Area Code) to the front of the number.

So you can see with Off-Hook dialing there is a perfect match in the Dial Plan after dialing only 7 digits so the system tries to make it a local call.
                  To force ONLY 10 digit dialing (Off-Hook and On-Hook) add the following to the Site Dialing Rulesunder Custom on the Sites page for each site that wishes to use this dialing method.
                  Note: To access this entry you must first log into Director with "Support Entry" mode.

<[2-9]XXXXXX>+MNX.F

This is the same string from the generated Site Dial Plan only the last byte flags the entire string as False rather than Good.
                  Note that with this added you will no longer be able to dial 7 digit external numbers from that site (just like cell phone dialing).

This does NOT stop larger systems from dialing internal extension numbers 7 digits in length.

Comment

^This is awesome, just what I was looking for! Thanks to everyone who replied.

Comment

Working...
                    X