Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DID Numbers are being used for phone scams

I have a bank of DID numbers which several of them are not assigned but ring to my main number. I just received a call that one of the numbers is being used to scam the public (by a very angry caller). Is there away to protect our DID's from being spoofed ? thank you - Andrew

Nope, nothing you can do. We get several calls per week about stopping inbound solicitation calls for customers and there is nothing you can do. They change the CID on every call and they are usually now using not only your local area code but often times your prefix as well. The numbers they spoof like in your case are legitimate numbers so you can't block them because they are real and over time you would have hundreds of legitimate local numbers blocked. Until the government steps in with the carriers to shut down these IP addresses they are originating from this problem will get worse. Most of you have probably now started getting them on your cell phones as well. I get 3-4 per day, usually around the same time of day and always different inbound ID.
    Randy Wensmann
    rwensmann@btxchange.com
    (408) 385-3485
    www.btxchange.com

Comment

thanks so much for your reply. We are not receiving the Spoofed calls but our number is being used by a spoofer.. is there nothing to prevent folks from using our numbers?

Comment

Nope, not unless the FCC and carriers really go after it. I can put your caller id into my profile and dial out as if I was you. Some carriers don't allow any outbound ID that is not owned by you being transmitted back out, but not all of them require that.
        Randy Wensmann
        rwensmann@btxchange.com
        (408) 385-3485
        www.btxchange.com

Comment

We used to sell dish network. Scammers would spoof our inbound numbers all the time.

Unless we had a significant amount of advertising, we would just redirect the number to an auto attendant that dropped the call.

Comment

As you can see with your system if you have Enterprise Trunking on the carrier side, you can use any number you want in the caller ID field of a user and make a call. As long as the carrier allows calls from a number not present in the Trunk group then the call goes out. Enterprise Trunking is pretty much an essential in Shoretel, as calls forwarded out need to show the caller ID of the caller, or if your sending calls out trunk groups at another site you will have a caller ID not at that site......
            So as said before by users here....Not a damn thing you can do about it .

Comment

Working...
            X