No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLAN issue

Hey all, here is what Im trying to do:

I have one physical LAN (one network drop at each desk). I would like to run a network cable to the phone and have the computers run thru the phone. But I want to have data and voice on different VLANs. Ive created the different VLANs and included option 156 in the DHCP scopes.

I am using an Adtran 1224R with POE. So I have the VLANs and the DHCP scope for both VLANs on the Adtran. In fact everything in this office is running thru the Adtran except the Director wich is in the Data Center office. I can ping the Director so connectivity isnt a problem. Does this sound feasable?

Does anyone else have experience running Shoretel in a similar setup?

K

That is exactly how our system is configured except that we use Cisco instead of Adtran. And aside from the fact that most installs likely use a server for DHCP instead of a switch, that is probably how most ShoreTel installs are done.

Comment

Are you having a issue with things working, if so what is not working?

The only thing I noticed you didn't mention was IP forwarding. If you have IP forwarding turned on then you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Currently we arent doing it this way, we have 2 network drops at each desk 2 seperate LANs with 2 VLAN's. I kept thinking that we could save money if we didnt have to provide the extra drop and the extra switches for the Voice LAN. I've tried to get this to work in a non shoretel lab I have.

Basically I plugged a phone into an Adtran, plugged a computer into the phone then created the seperate Vlans on the Adtran and put the DHCP scopes in place on the Adtran as well. The computer found its IP but the phone wouldnt pull an IP. Now there wasnt a shoretell server or switch in this network so I was wondering if the reason it didnt work is because of that. Everything Ive read and heard tells me Im doing it right and that it should work.

I've commited to my boss that this will work and that I can make it happen. I guess I need to setup a live shoretel lab.

Comment

what are your option 156 strings? can you post them for both scopes?

I just re-read you last post. If you already have the 2 vlans in place, but on different physical lans, then all you should need to do is set up the the switch ports properly on the adtran. I'm not familiar with adtran switches, but most switches either call it trucking or setting one vlan untagged, and the other tagged.

I looked at the adtran AOS guide, and it looks like you need to run "switchport mode trunk" command on each interface you want to have access to both vlans. If your data vlan is something other than vlan 1, you would need to run "switchport trunk native vlan XX", as well.

You do not need a shoretel server or switch in your lab to get basic dhcp working with the phones. the phone will stall at requesting service for a while, then say no service, but you should be able to observe the dhcp process happen.
          Last edited by aclements; 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Yup, on your switch you need to have both v-lans on all ports, except the ports your server and shoretel switches will be plugged into, their ports should be just voice v-lan untagged.

Ports 1-44 data//voice V-lan tagged, 45-48 voice v-lan untagged

The reason for the voice v-lan untagged is that there is no way to tag the server and switches. If you are going to have different subnets for the voice you will need IP forwarding.

Comment

my lab is at the office wich is currently off limits since the tornadoes.... when i can get back in I will get the info on my DHCP and port settings...

Thanks everybody for all the help so far.

Comment

khitan,
                I can't speak for everyone, but good luck with what you guys are going thru down there. Those were some devastating storms.

Comment

I just posted a similar question about this in the installers forum, but I think this answers most of my questions. I see you all are using DHCP. Any problem with static? We have a mission critical app (Symitar) that requires it.

Thanks!

Greg

Comment

No problem with static, except it is a pain, and requires a lot more effort to set up a phone.

Does your mission critical app require the phones to be static'd as well? Could you use DHCP for the phones (and hopefully other devices...) and only static the server/workstations that use this special app?

Comment

Originally posted by iflyvfr
                      I just posted a similar question about this in the installers forum, but I think this answers most of my questions. I see you all are using DHCP. Any problem with static? We have a mission critical app (Symitar) that requires it.

Thanks!

Greg
                      If you need to have a phone assigned to a certain IP, then it's easier to build a reservation table within DHCP. You can script it too...

Details here: http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...hread.php?t=56

Comment

Why seperate the VLANs?

We've succesfully been running ShoreTel for over a year now. We have Adtran 1224STR POE and 1224ST POE and all of our remote offices each with between 10-30 people.
                        It runs great and we've had no quality issues.
                        They plug their computers directly into the phone (IP 530) then the phone goes into the 1 data jack.

BTW, at our HQ location, we use Foundry switches. I use seperate VLANs (we have over 200 users at our HQ) and for those you tag each port with both VLANs, then on the user's switch interface you use "dual-mode" to specify which VLAN will be untagged and "voice-vlan" to tell it which VLAN is for voice.
                        Then, the phones boot up first on the user VLAN, gets option 156 from DHCP [in my case: ftpservers=172.23.8.12,Layer2Tagging=1,VlanId=8] telling them the correct VLAN (Vlan 8 for me), then they reboot into the proper one.

Originally posted by khitan
                        Hey all, here is what Im trying to do:

I have one physical LAN (one network drop at each desk). I would like to run a network cable to the phone and have the computers run thru the phone. But I want to have data and voice on different VLANs. Ive created the different VLANs and included option 156 in the DHCP scopes.

I am using an Adtran 1224R with POE. So I have the VLANs and the DHCP scope for both VLANs on the Adtran. In fact everything in this office is running thru the Adtran except the Director wich is in the Data Center office. I can ping the Director so connectivity isnt a problem. Does this sound feasable?

Does anyone else have experience running Shoretel in a similar setup?

K

Comment

Working...
                        X