Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory ... server required for this operation is not available

We have users in a remote office on a 90V switch who are frequently reporting this error message when pressing the Directory button:

"the server required for this operation is not available"

The problem is intermittent and seems to happen during periods of high bandwidth utilization which makes sense.

So, does anyone know how the phone gets its directory information and which port that information uses? We're not entirely sure if the phone communicates with the V switch or goes directly to the HQ server. We also haven't figured out which port this service uses. If we can figure out that info, we should be able to apply QoS and guarantee it some bandwidth to eliminate the problem.

Alternately, is there a way to increase the timeout on the Directory button? I would assume the "the server required for this operation is not available" is coming back to the phone because it doesn't get a timely response. But if we could force the phone to wait a little longer, we might not have as much of a problem. Is there any way to increase that timeout?

We use IP 230g phones and run 10.2 (15.41.9301.0).

Thanks for the ideas!

The communication will be between the V switch and the server. I could give you some port numbers, but I'm not sure if these are the right ones or from which direction the connection is initiated. Switch: 1028, Server: 3808

Comment

Thanks,

Knowing it was communicating from the V-switch to the server helped. Our testing showed port 1599 being critical to the communication for directory. We've added that into our QoS setup and now the Directory button seems to function normally even when network utilization is high.

Comment

We are having the same issue with the "MODE" button as well as the directory........what kind of tests did you run to determine the disgruntled port? This is a fresh install going live today..........

Comment

Hi Healy-

Is the "MODE" issue at a remote site relative to the shorewaredirector? Is it multiple sites that are getting the error? I am guessing you already tried to reboot the local switch that the phones with the issue are connected to, can you confirm that?

The only time I have seen the "MODE" button give that error was when some service crashed on the local shoretel switch, and a reboot fixed the issue.

As for testing the problem, you will be best served to test the issue by running a packet sniffer such as "wireshark" on your shorewaredirector, or more appropriately, on a link that has traffic between the shorewaredirector and the switch your phones are connected to. Ultimately, you are trying to capture the network traffic that goes from the phone having the problem to your switch or server and diagnose if it is a quality of service issue.

It is also entirely possible you have a bug, what version of code are you running? Have you brought this up with your vendor?

Comment

We have a customer experiencing this issue as well. Right now it is looking like a bug that will require an upgrade, and is related to the CSIS service on the VSwitches

Comment

Originally posted by Miersk View Post
              We have a customer experiencing this issue as well. Right now it is looking like a bug that will require an upgrade, and is related to the CSIS service on the VSwitches
              rebooting HQ solved our issue, this is on 12.2

Comment

Working...
              X