Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force phones to talk through switch

We have a situation where we have phones placed at user's homes talking through a VPN device. It works great and the quality has been top notch. The only issue I have had is that because the phones need to talk directly to each other, we have to define a VPN route to each of the home user's networks. If you don't define the routes, then you can make the phone calls, but there is not voice traffic. It appears that the switches are used to setup the call and then hand off the voice traffic to the phones directly.

Does anyone know of a way to force the phones to talk through the switch? Ideally, we would only enable this for remote workers and then would not have to grant specific access to each tunnel because those phones would use the switch as a "proxy".

VPN Routes

I believe the shoretel VPN concentrator is designed to elimate the need for what you describe. It creates its own vpn, which terminates in the phone itself, removing the need to have a route that goes any farther........

ShoreTel VPN Concentrator | ShoreTel

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
      I believe the shoretel VPN concentrator is designed to elimate the need for what you describe. It creates its own vpn, which terminates in the phone itself, removing the need to have a route that goes any farther........

ShoreTel VPN Concentrator | ShoreTel
      While you are correct that this device would solve that problem, it just creates a whole host of other problems and does not solve any of the other issues that leads me to want a VPN device. If I just wanted to plop phones on the internet, it would be a good solution, but we are doing a full home office setup with VPN connectivity for computers also.

Also, my reseller has had a lot of issues with that device and did not recommend them last year when I was looking.

Comment

how about setting up route based "hub and spoke" vpn? don't know which vpn hardware you're doing but short of building a tunnel to each site (which might be ideal for voice quality but difficult if you have lots of sites) that might be the network design to shoot for.

Comment

Well, a conference call of 4 or more goes through the switch...

Comment

Working...
          X