Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to confirm CESID being sent out?

We setup 23 sites with Vlans to perform 911 CESID based on ip ranges. Everything appears to be configured correctly based on the Appendix A Emergency 911 Operations chapter.

The 911 Operator is receiving the BTN of our PRI.

Is there a method or tool to confirm what CESID our ShoreTel system is sending out?

Thanks

easiest way I know of is to simply dial 911. state right off that there is no emergency, then verify number, address, etc. I've never had a 911 call get me in trouble when doing this.

Comment

Do the sites have their own local trunks or are they all using a common PRI at a parent site?

Are they configured as individual sites in the Director?

Is the CESID different than the broad casted caller ID from the users?

Comment

royb - 911 operators are seeing the PRI BTN not the CESID assigned to the vlan. I am suspecting that the carrier is stepping on the CESID with their BTN.

CelticTech - All sites use common trunk.
        All sites have their own IP subnet range.
        All sites have their own shoregear switch(s).
        Large sites are configured as 1 site and broken down by floor using Vlan ip ranges.
        CESID is different from broadcasted caller ID.

Comment

Most carriers do not trust the CID value you send on a 911 call. Instead, they overwrite it with the BTN of the trunks that call is originating from.

Comment

Also keep in mind that without coordinating with the provider (or a E911 provider), calls from other sites might be routed to the wrong PSAP. Meaning, they may all go to Sacramento.

Because of this, we generally deploy 911 locally at each site via local trunks (whether they be a POTS line or a PRI if they are a larger site and terminating dial tone anyway).

Comment

All our sites are in Sacramento. I am waiting to hear back from our carrier to learn if they are overwriting our CESID.

Comment

I did contact ShoreTel support to learn how to view the CESID being sent out. The commands come from the ShoreTel Maintenance Guide.

Here is a summary of the method we used to confirm we are sending out the correct CESID and it appears the carrier is stepping on our CESID going to the 911 operator. Now if we can get them to cooperate problem will be fixed.

How to view the caller id being sent out during a 911 call

Identify which switch is servicing the phone you will call 911 from

You will need to know the password of the switch

Remote to shoreware director server

Run ipbxctl -telneton <ip address of switch> - to turn on telnet access to shoregear switch

From shoreware director server telnet to shoregear switch

Set buffer in telnet window to high value (ie 999 etc)

From Shoreline> prompt enter the command gotoshell

You will now see the prompt ->

Enter these commands:
                -> pri_trace=4
                -> pri_log=4

At this point all D channel data is dumped to the screen.

Make the 911 test call.

After capturing all the data turn monitor off by entering these commands:
                -> pri_trace=0
                -> pri_log=0

To return to Shoreline> prompt
                -> exit

Copy and paste telnet data into notepad

Search for string "39 31 31" or the dialed number. It will show up under the heading SETUP

CC -> L3 00 NL_DATA_REQ 001 c89d 0000 CC_SETUP_REQ
                400 300 00 340 00 00 00 00 08 02 00 00 80 04 03 80 90 a2 18 03 a9 83 8f 6c
                0c 00 80 39 31 36 34 34 34 31 32 33 34 70 04 80
                39 31 31

Removing the "3" leaves 911 - showing the number dialed

From the location of this string, read backwards to the next series of numbers starting with "3s"

In this example it is 39 31 36 34 34 34 31 32 33 34

Removing the "3s" leaves 916 444 1234 or the caller ID being sent out to the 911 operator.

If the 911 operator is not seeing this, then the most likely cause is the carrier is overriding your settings.

Comment

I am having the exact same problem after switching providers and moving to Qwest. How would one configure a POTS line onsite to handle 911 calls? My scenario....

City Hall building VLAN1 (main hub for all calls, PRI located here)
                  Public Works buidling VLAN2 (all calls through city hall. Do have POTS line for other services)
                  Community Center building VLAN3 (same as PW)
                  Water Treatment Plant VLAN4 (same as PW)
                  Fire Station VLAN5 (same as PW)

Could the shoretel system be configured to use a POTS line at each location?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumcrazy09 View Post
                    Could the shoretel system be configured to use a POTS line at each location?
                    Yes, this is how our system is Setup. I have 1 remote location that uses the PRI at HQ for all its regular calls, but have the dial plan configured to force 911 out the local trunks.

Search for KB12996 on the support site for the Dial Plan info. You will want the section on "Forcing 911/emergency calls out on a specific trunk"

Comment

As a conclusion to my original question I learned the caller ID etc can also be viewed in the IPBX log file.

Comment

Working...
                      X