Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call routing help needed

Here is the scenario we are trying to replicate to our Shortel 10.2 system from our old inter-tel phone system:

Call comes into a sales person named Joe's DID or extension, rings 3 times at Joe's phone, if no answer, then rings a hunt group 3 times (His backup people), then if no answer, goes to Joe's voicemail.

This seems simple, but so far the options we have tried all seem to have a problem.

Here is what we have tried:

Option #1: Find Me with "Auto Find Me" checked: Problem here is that the call doesn't keep ringing, it puts the caller on hold while it "Finds" (Our customers don't like hold). Also, the backup people in the hunt group, then have to press 1 to accept the call. This solution would techinically work, but seems very clunky. Also, we haven't been able to verify that Caller ID info comes all the way through.

Option #2: One hunt group and one Auto Attendant for every sales person. We then set the call handling mode for the sales person to forward to the personal hunt group on "No Answer", then the personal Hunt group rings 3 times, then forwards to the personal Auto Attendant which has a blank message and a zero second timout that forward to "takes a message" for the original sales person's extension. Problem here is that according to the manual, you can only have 8 hunt groups per switch with a total of 16 members. (We counted and we will be way over if we have to create a hunt group for each person).

Option #3: Setup the hunt group as an "additional phone" ("Additional Phones" is a new feature for 10.2?) for the sales person and set a ring delay of 3 and a ring count of 3. The problem here is that the "Additional Phones" function doesn't support anything but SIP Extensions and External numbers. I have a theory that I could use the DID of the hunt group and it may work, but then I am tying up 3 lines for one incoming call. (1 in, 1 back out, 1 back in). Correct me if I am wrong on any of this as this seems like the perfect option otherwise. And I can't understand why extensions and hunt groups aren't supported by this.

Option #4: One workgroup and one Auto Attendant for every sales person. This seems to work, but is very cumbersome to setup as you cannot make a hunt group a member of a workgroup, so each time there is a change to what would normally be a single hunt group, we would have to update the workgroups for all the members. It also requires that we have a server at every site. If the server goes down, so do all the workgroups. Not as redundant as we had hoped the ShoreTel system would be.

Does anyone know of any other options for this? Its seems so simple and yet we are really struggling here.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have been a member of this site only a week or so and it has been a very very valuable resource.

-Aaron
    Last edited by amccrea; 08-16-2010, 09:44 AM.

Have you considered programming a button to monitor Joe's extension?

Comment

Yes, we have considered that.

In this scenario, Joe is on a team of 6 people. When anyone on the team gets a call and does not answer within 3 rings, it should ring all 6 phones, but if all 6 are busy on the phone or at lunch, it should then route to Joe's personal voicemail. In this case, I only have 3 buttons on each phone (IP230g). Also, most of the time, Joe will be there, so I don't really want to ring all the phones if Joe is at his desk.

Comment

button

so why dont you use the monitor extension button? All the phones wouldnt ring if the original person answers the phone.

You set the button to "alert after 3 rings". The people doing the monitoring of joes phone will not ring until Joe has 3 rings to answer. You can even set priorities, for example, have one person's button alert after 3 rings, and the other two after 4 rings...so you setup a primary and backup system.

The monitor extension button sounds like it will do everything you require... right?

if not, spell out exactly what it doesnt do so we can help.

If you end up needing a ton of buttons for someone, then Button Boxes are the way to go. This is another reason i would never sell anyone 3 button phones... people ALWAYS seem to need more than 2 buttons.

all the other options you listed are more complex, and prone to problems.

If the people actually use their PCM software, this can all be done without buttons, you can make virtual buttons in the PCM (i dont like this way much)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion of using the ring delay on the monitored extension, that will come in handy solving some other scenarios. For this one, since all 6 hunt group members need to monitor all six phones, this would mean a lot of buttons which is not really an option. PCM may work, but it seems more confusing than would be ideal on day 1 since this is a fresh deployment. we are trying to ease them into the use of Call Manager. I fully expect them to adopt it as their primary tool as they use a similar tool now with our Inter-Tel System, but I need the call routing logic to be fool proof and really easy to understand on the first day. (Lost calls=Lost sales)

I did continue trying different things, and found some solutions on my own. It really was as simple as I thought it should be.

1) Workgroups have a voicemail box, thus they also have the option to forward to voice mail if nobody answers. Since the call always hits an individual extension first (Nobody calls the workgroups/hunt groups directly here), then forwards to the workgroup, if the workgroup doesn't answer, the forward to voicemail will go to the original recipients mailbox, which is what we want. This is perfect, except I need servers at all my sites and if a server is down, I no longer have my workgroups routing calls.

2) Since hunt groups don't have voicemail, I tried creating a single dummy "extension and mailbox" called "Voicemail Placeholder". I then set "Voicemail Placeholder" to always forward immediately to voicemail. Then I set the hunt group to forward to "Voicemail Placeholder" on no answer or stack full. Now when a call comes into a user, after no answer, it rings the hunt group, then if the hunt group doesn't answer, it forwards to “Voicemail Placeholder”, which immediately forwards to the original recipients voicemail. Problem solved and it won't require servers at my remote site. I have a 90v (voicemail) switch already at the remote site.
          Last edited by amccrea; 08-13-2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amccrea View Post
            2) Since hunt groups don't have voicemail, I tried creating a single dummy "extension and mailbox" called "Voicemail Placeholder". I then set "Voicemail Placeholder" to always forward immediately to voicemail. Then I set the hunt group to forward to "Voicemail Placeholder" on no answer or stack full. Now when a call comes into a user, after no answer, it rings the hunt group, then if the hunt group doesn't answer, it forwards to “Voicemail Placeholder”, which immediately forwards to the original recipients voicemail. Problem solved and it won't require servers at my remote site. I have a 90v (voicemail) switch already at the remote site.
            Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper (save the extension and mailbox license) to have the hunt group go to the auto-attendant choice you mentioned earlier.

1. Call goes to user
            2. On user no-answer/full goes to HG
            3. On HG no-answer/full goes to AA
            4. AA times out at 0, blank recording, and takes message at original user's extension

Comment

How about this, I havnt tested this in a while but I noticed this seems to be how the voicemail behaves:
              Set the sales guys extension to forward to a workgroup on no answer.
              Set the workgroup to forward to voicemail on no answer.

Call goes to salesman first. He doesnt answer, call goes to workgroup. If the workgroup doesnt answer, the mailbox that gets selected will be the one belonging to the salesman.

Comment

Just a thought: Have you asked the end user if it would be acceptable to have the call go to voicemail before reaching the workgroup and use the Personal Assistant destination?

Sales man would record a voicemail greeting:
                Hello I'm sorry I missed your call, blah blah, leave a message or press 0 to speak to my team.

Ring Ring Workgroup

No reply, please leave a message.

Incidentally, there is an option on Find Me which means you don't have to press 1.

Comment

dhelfond,

I tried that, but when using the auto-attendant, I have to choose an extension to "take a message" for. In this case it varies based on who the call originally came into, so transferring to a dummy extension works because it forwards to the Voicemail system, which automatically determines what extension the message goes to. The good news is that I only need one dummy extension for all my hunt groups (Well, one per site since I don't user the WAN for calls.)

ShoreTel_Dave,

You are correct, workgroups would work fine for this. The only problem is that I would need to put servers in at smaller sites to support this. Since I can make hunt groups work, it seems simpler.

We have talked to the users about some of the other options and basically they just want it to work like it does today on our old system. They may change that over time once the ShoreTel system is in.

Comment

Unless you have V11 distributed workgroups which would require a DVS at the remote site, then Workgroups live on the HQ server anyway. So you don't need servers at the remote locations to support workgroups. You need a little bit of WAN bandwidth to accomodate the workgroup call control.
                    Your AutoAttendant is goiing to be playing media over the WAN as well unless you have a local V switch which will play a replicated copy of the prompt.

Comment

Hi amccrea its easy after the call rings the huntgroup set the no answer destination of the huntgroup to a route point XXX. Enable a voicemail for the route point and set it to always forward to voicemail. Have Joe record a greeting for the RP mailbox or import Joe's original greeting. Then set the RP Mailbox to auto forward messages to Joe's original MBox and delete after forwarding (using escalation and mailbox options)

Comment

I can think of only 1 option and that would be clean. However I am not sure that you have these resources available. The best solution would be to create some back end logic using either the SDK or professional services team. I have worked with programming for my companies shoretel system and the logic needed should be fairly easy to write. It is a more expensive option, but I'll describe the base logic needed to possibly complete it.

the applet would look for the any incoming call that dialed the DID of your users, and capture the Caller GUID, logice would also need to be added to retrieve users extension. It would ring a selected hunt group, you could put some logic in to remove the user if their DID was dialed. If the call is not answered pass the call to users vm, using the extension it grabbed previously.

I realize that for most companies it is not cost effective to go this route, but it's good to know that the option is there.

Comment

Working...
                        X