Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Mode

What causes a phone to report "The Server required for this operation is not available", when trying to change the Call handling mode or use the directory from the phone? Both functions work fine from the users Call Manager, and the phone can successfully ping the Director server. Reset of the phone had no effect.

Thank you.

The phone is not seeing the server at a full TMS level. I would recommend doing a factory reboot and setting it up fresh to see if that clears it.

Comment

Would you suggest the same factory reboot if the problem is intermittent? We've seen this on phones, but the problem will go away and then come back.

Comment

No, a factory reboot will not clear up intermittent issues like that in any long term sense, that would be some kind of network issue.

Comment

I did a reset, cleared all values - same problem. I deleted the phone from the system and had it reconnect - still not working. I surveyed the company and so far just 2 phones with this problem, at different sites.

Comment

Try restarting the IP Phone Display Service on the HQ server.

Comment

IPDS will not be affecting a call handling mode change. Can you use the directory? A reboot of the server would be the next step (it is possible the service that connects the phone to the database layer of the server is down, since the phone has to talk to the database to do call handling mode changes and also directory lookups these often fail together).

Comment

Niether Mode or Directory work on the phone.

I stopped and restarted the Display Service - did not fix the problem, but I did receive errors - Event ID 2807 for LCID 1041 and LCID 2052.

I will reboot the director server when our west coast office closes.

Comment

Rebooting the Shoreware server fixed the problem.

Thank you!

Comment

Right, there must have been a service that hung on the server. A good rule of thumb is that directory and CHM functions depend on the server while actual calls depend on the switches. With one isolated phone down it can be hard to tell if it is the phone or the server/appliance without doing some trial and error testing.

Comment

In our case, restarting the "Shoreware Distributed Telephony Application Service" fixed this issue for us without requiring a reboot. Hopefully this doesn't continue as we just updated to the 7076 build of 12.2 to correct an issue with this same service hanging in which all Shoretel Communicator clients became disconnected from the Director. Restarting this service would temporarilyy remedy that issue as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X