Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparative Differences Btwn Versions 8.1, 10, and 11

Can anyone describe to me the comparative key differences btwn Shoretel 8.1, 10, and 11?

The reason I'm asking is because I've built my workstation on Windows 7 64-bit and realized that running xp mode for Shoretel 8.1 is not exactly a practical solution for running that client's version on this platform. Outlook comes up with missing Shoretel plug-ins and also can't see the client running on my virtual machine.

So it appears that if we move over to 64-bit Win7 workstations, the solution is for me to first move to version 10 and then 11, which is supposed to work in a 64-bit environment.

Practically speaking the differences are all going to be in new features and functionality as you move to newer versions. Right after a version comes out there are several builds of it as the testing lab gives way to the impossible to duplicate complexity and interactions of some deployments, but withing several months (usually 2 or 3) any new version is just as stable and only significantly differs in the new features it offers.

The 9 series added LLDP, personalized call handling rules, some enhanced functionality for distribution of architecture and backup switches.

10.1 added some nice enhancements to the call manager, but they were all really minor tweaks and functionality additions. Multi-site paging and groups took some notable steps forward.

11 is rumored to have a lot of things, but it is still too early to be dogmatic, although 64bit and windows 7 support are two of the most persistent rumors that I have heard.

Comment

10.1 also added distributed workgroups, account codes, and a semi functional distributed database on the DVM servers.

Comment

I've heard rumors on 11 doing away with call manager as we know it and moving to a web-based "communicator", but they are just rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by mattwray View Post
          I've heard rumors on 11 doing away with call manager as we know it and moving to a web-based "communicator", but they are just rumors.
          Really? I am curious about this as it could save us some headaches, but that would be a huge change....

Comment

Working...
          X