Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSV Formatting Issue

This may be an easy one, I did search around trying to see if someone already posted the answer, but I could not find it.

When trying to go from an Excel 2007 .csv file and import the file using DBimport...the file comes out of Excel completely flat...all the data is one continuous string...it doesn't seem to maintain the formatting of the original?

I have tried several things...but just short of manually editing the CSV file in notepad (which I have about 200+ users). I have put an example below, thanks.

Proper Format:
    Extension,FirstName,LastName,GuiLoginName,GUIPassw ord,TUIPassword,UserLicenseType,CallerID,UserGroup ,Site,Language,VMServer,CallStackSize,AcceptBroadc asts,MakeNumberPrivate,DialByName,FaxSupport,Allow SoftPhone,ClientType,EmailDomain,ConferenceServer, ConferenceServerUserID,ConferenceServerPassword,Ri ngType,CallWaitingToneEnabled,HeadsetAudioPath,PST NFailOverType,PSTNFailOverNumber,HeadsetMode,DIDRa nge,DIDNumber,VoiceMailboxForRecordedCalls,MustCha ngeTUIPassword,HomePhoneMACAddress,HomePhoneNumber ,WorkPhoneNumber,PagerPhoneNumber,CellPhoneNumber, FaxPhoneNumber,LdapUser,LdapDomainName,AllowPapi,M CMAllowed,EnableCC,AllowVideoCalls,AllowTelephonyP resence,SIPPassword

10208,Kristin,Urban,KUrban,1234,4321,Extension-Mailbox,15862541320,Executives,Headquarters,Englis h(US),Headquarters,3,TRUE,0,T,User-Redirect,f,Personal,[email protected],,DBImpor tConfUserID,changeme,Standard,FALSE,1,None,,TRUE,1 5867265600,15867265610,,f,,,,,,,Non-Ldap User,,t,T,t,standard,T,changeme

10218,Annick,Pearl,APearl,1234,4321,,,,,English(US ),Headquarters,3,TRUE,0,T,User-Redirect,f,,[email protected],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,standard,,

Right Out of Excel:

Extension,FirstName,LastName,GuiLoginName,GUIPassw ord,TUIPassword,UserLicenseType,CallerID,UserGroup ,Site,Language,VMServer,CallStackSize,AcceptBroadc asts,MakeNumberPrivate,DialByName,FaxSupport,Allow SoftPhone,ClientType,EmailDomain,ConferenceServer, ConferenceServerUserID,ConferenceServerPassword,Ri ngType,CallWaitingToneEnabled,HeadsetAudioPath,PST NFailOverType,PSTNFailOverNumber,HeadsetMode,DIDRa nge,DIDNumber,VoiceMailboxForRecordedCalls,MustCha ngeTUIPassword,HomePhoneMACAddress,HomePhoneNumber ,WorkPhoneNumber,PagerPhoneNumber,CellPhoneNumber, FaxPhoneNumber,LdapUser,LdapDomainName,AllowPapi,M CMAllowed,EnableCC,AllowVideoCalls,AllowTelephonyP resence,SIPPassword
    10208,Kristin,Urban,KUrban,1234,4321,Extension-Mailbox,15862541320,Executives,Headquarters,Englis h(US),Headquarters,3,TRUE,0,T,User-Redirect,f,Personal,[email protected],,DBImpor tConfUserID,changeme,Standard,FALSE,1,External,-2492,TRUE,,15867266800,10208,f,,,,,,,Non-Ldap User,,t,T,t,standard,T,changeme
    10218,Annick,Pearl,APearl,1234,4321,,,,,English(US ),Headquarters,3,TRUE,0,T,User-Redirect,f,,[email protected],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,standard,,

As you can see...all one line...I assume it is something simple I am doing wrong/and or can fix?

Well, I kept digging and figured it out...it was something simple...I needed to save it as in Windows Comma Separated format, not the default CSV format, which is listed as Comma Separated Values - thanks for the confusion Microsoft!

Comment

DBImport is the best provisioning thing ever. Here is my workflow:

This way might seem a bit odd on the face of it, but it is simpler for me to copy and paste between my computer running Excel and the HQ server and I don't have to muck about copying a file. I tend to be connected to the HQ server via RDP or Logmein.

I highlight all the cells in excel that are going to make my csv file and then copy it to the clipboard

I then bring up an empty notepad on the HQ server and paste the clipboard into notepad.
      This will make a TAB delimited file in notepad.
      I then highlight one of the TAB characters and copy it to the clipboard.
      Then I bring up the find/replace dialog in notepad and paste the tab character into the Find field (you can't just press the tab key as it will move the cursor to the next control)
      Then I put a comma character in the replace with field and let it rip.

Save the text file as import.csv (or whatever) in the appropriate location.

There is the option to use the -d argument on dbimport to choose another delimiter from comma, but I havnt experimented with it yet (not sure if you can use non printing characters like TAB anyway)

By the way, found you can assign the users to the mac address of their default phone via dbimport as well as fill in other directory numbers. This saves loads of time.

Run DBImport -c >headers.txt
      then open up headers.txt to get a list of all the column headings.

Comment

Funny, I was running into the same issue recently... Seemed to me when you download the exported file from swDirector it comes out in HTML.. So I figured you could save the file as a *.html and then view it in a browser and copy the tables into EXCEL.

Is anyone else having the exported file look like this:

<TR>
        <TD>Polycom</TD>
        <TD>SIP</TD>
        <TD>Headquarters</TD>
        <TD><A _t="Executives" HREF="usergroup.asp?ID=1">Executives</A></TD>
        <TD>Personal</TD>
        <TD>6123</TD>
        <TD></TD>
        <TD>SoftSwitch</TD>
        <TD></TD>
        <TD>Home</TD>