Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office/Outlook 2010 compatibility

Curious if anyone out there is running call manager outlook integration with Outlook 2010. If so, are you running on 32 or 64 bit? What version of OS have you had success with? We are mostly a XP/office 2007 shop but with the street release of Office 2010 around the corner I know it's a matter of time before this could become a potential issue. We are on Shoretel 10.1.

2010 64-bit will not work. 2010 32-bit does, but is not officially supported.

Comment

I have Windows 7 Office 2010 and ShoreTel CM Build 14.21.4905.0 and I have found out that you need to start Outlook 2010 first then CM or outlook will not sync (update folders).

Comment

...also the outlook voice mail integration is hit or miss and the calendar integration simply does not work. It will not let outlook load your profile when starting outlook 2010. Very disappointing.

Comment

Same Here...

Tried flipping things around with 2010 x64 and could not get it to work...I was kind of hoping someone would figure out something...:hang:

Comment

i'm running win7 x86 with call manager 14.21.4905.0 and office 2010. contact integration works, however the voicemail integration breaks outlook if you close it... outlook will hang on loading profiles until you reboot or kill off the "agent.exe" process. uninstalling voicemail integration solves this problem.

as it's been previously noted there is no x64 support for call manager in the 9.x line. i've heard that 10 does support x64, however there is still no office 2010 support as of yet.

Comment

Shoretel Call Manager with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010

I've found that in regards to the problem of Outlook 2010 hanging when running Shoretel Personal Call Manager, if you modify the Agent.exe process to run in XP compatibilty mode, the problem goes away. I'm not sure how the change affects the process itself, but Outlook 2010 and Shoretel Call Manager do not have further problems once you do this. I've noticed that the Agent.exe no longer appears in the process list when running Personal Call Manager once you change the compatibilty mode, but it doesn't seem to have affected the functionality of either Outlook 2010 or Personal Call Manager. Just thought this might help if you're running into the same issue. Cheers!

Comment

I've been working on this too. This issues seems to be exacerbated if you have Roxio CD Creator loaded as the Macromedia Software Updater program (part of the install) also loads an instance of agent.exe... really, could it be more generic? So i'd have three of them, not so peacfully coexisting.

But on to this specific problem - I uninstalled Roxio so that I would be troubleshooting only one problem. I have changed compatibiliy mode to XP sp3 and it didn't solve the problem, so I tried XP sp2, then set it to runs with administrative permissions. None of this works for me, so I'd say that solution may or may not work for others.

My .02 cents.

Comment

I'm tackling this with a vengence. I've come across something that is a hint of something inside the program looking to hook into Outlook at a programatic level. I don't exactly know what it means yet but I'll think about it some more.

First off, some of you have said that when you reinstalled the program it finally started working without a problem. I did so, and if you weren't aware, the program would work. That is because by default voicemail integration is not installed. When you activate voicemail integration, it breaks.

Note: Outlook failed to open the second time - as usual, so I cancelled the request when outlook said "loading profile".

I went into taks manager to shut down the two instances of agent.exe. When I highlighted "agent.exe" and selected "end process" a window popped up with the following verbiage:

The title of the window was "Microsoft Outlook".
                  The content of the window read, "No Microsoft Outlook profiels have been created. In Microsoft Windows, click the Start button, and then click Control Panel. Click User Accounts, and then click Mail. Click Show Profiles and then click Add."

This suggests to me that the agent process is trying to hook the profile during Outlook startup, is expecting information formatted in a specific way within the profile but the profile content structure has been modified in Office 2010 and Outlook fails to load waiting for the agent process to complete it's function.

let me know what you think.

Comment

Here's another interesting sidenote. If you have both Outlook 2010 and Comm Mgr installed with VM integration checked, close out of outlook, terminate the Agent.exe processes (both of them) and then exit the Comm Mgr program, you can now restart Outlook. Notice in the task mgr window that the Agent.exe process has now started and Outlook has now opened. Your hopes will be dashed to find that you cannot however open subsequent sessions of Outlook after they have been closed...

Comment

I have tried every permutation of fixing this problem that I can think of. If you have VM integration checked within Comm Mgr you will not be able to open subsequent sessions of Outlook 2010 once it has been shutdown.

The only way to get these two programs to peacfully coexist at this point is to disable VM integration under the Outlook menu selection within Comm Mgr.

To ease the pain of not having VM integration the only valid workaround is to go to the Tools menu and select Options (the only menu item available, at least to me) when the Options and Preferences window pops up select Voice Mail from the left hand menu. Within that menu, under Notification delivery options: select "Email notification" and enter your "Deliver to email address:" and this is as good as I think you can get at this point.

Using ITIL terminology, I believe this issue to now be a "known error".

ShoreTel - Please Fix this!!!

Comment

Eureka! (well sort of)

I have come upon a glimmer of hope. This still is a known error in my book but I have found a way to consistently open and close Outlook WITH VM integration enabled.

There is however a caveat - due to user actions, which may not be so easy to control, this problem can crop up again if a user elects to open a .PST file and leave it open within Outlook. I'm still looking to understand precisely what in the .PST file it is that VM integration doesn't work well with. From what I have read on TechNet there were some underlying data structure changes that affect .OST and .PST files. More research is required.

If you go into Outlook 2010 and select File/Info/Account Settings/Account Settings... the Account Settings dialog box will open. Select the Data Files tab and ensure that the only file listed is the user mail store that is required, for example [email protected]. If there are any other POP accounts or .PST files included, remove them. Close out of Outlook, in Task Manager, end the Agent.exe process because if you had additional files included the Agent.exe will have failed to close properly.

With all of the .PST and other mailboxes removed you should now be able to open and close Outlook without further issue. It doesn't matter if the Agent.exe is marked as XP compatible or not. I have tested this without "cached outllook mode" and with encryption enabled using negotiated authentication and this works consistently. It's not the best solution but it is a solution until this is resolved.

Comment

I have had one more discovery on the road to enlightenment. If you turn cached mode on, it will also break Outlook/Agent.exe.

At this point I consider ShoreTel Version 9.2, Call Manager Build 14.42.8500.0 to be substantially unstable when paired with Microsoft Outlook 2010, when enabling VoiceMail integration.

This will not earn high marks in the executives eyes of the company I work at as we deploy an updated OS and updated office suite. Surprisingly, nearly every other app we use has passed compatibility testing without issue. I'm not too happy about this.

Your only real, stable, work-around to this issue is to enable email notification to the clients inbox for VoiceMail and turn off VM Integration.

Comment

Originally posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
                            ... at as we deploy an updated OS and updated office suite. Surprisingly, nearly every other app we use has passed compatibility testing without issue. I'm not too happy about this.
                            There's an updated ShoreTel as well, 10.2 is released at the time I write this. It doesn't yet mention support of Office 2010 in the release notes but if it is your policy to run the latest of everything then I am just making you aware.

Comment

Outlook 2010 handles MAPI integration differently than earlier versions of Outlook. It appears the problem may be related to the 'Fast Shutdown' feature of Outlook. With FastShutdown enabled, outlook does not notify add-ins that it is closing - so in this case Agent.exe never gets told to shut down. Changing compatibility mode does not seem to affect the behavior, nor does setting the [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Option s\Shutdown\FastShutdownBehavior] value. If anyone knows of a way to disable the FastShutdown functionality completely so that Outlook notifies the Voicemail add-in to shutdown when exiting, that may help.

Comment

Working...
                              X