Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Outage

We had a bad storm, knocked out power and our UPS's did not like the power the Genertor put out and shut down, taking down the ShoreTel swiches. The Shoretel server was fine, different UPS.
    Our issue, After the power came back up the majority of the phones went into "out of service" mode. I tried to reset the phones from Director, nothing happened, tried to reboot from Director, nothing!!!.
    I pulled the power from the cisco switches to force a reboot on the phones. A few more came up, then right back down to "out of service". Long story short. I had to physically go phone to phone and reset the phones. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this. I opened a ticket with our partner and got "Don't know what to tell you, the power cycle on the cisco switches should have worked".
    Can anyone help me out??

If you get a fix, pass it along! I have had the same issues with several locations. At times, I have been able to re-boot the POE switch and that fixes all, other times, I have had to 'reset to factory defaults' with more stubborn sets. Either way, it required a site visit. It can get frustrating.

Comment

Sometimes you can replicate the behavior by cycling the power repeatedly on the phone at various points in the boot process. I've done this by accident in our office a few times by plugging/unplugging the cable from the phone. Unfortunately, while I can reproduce, I don;t have a solution aside from factory reset.

Comment

You can also cross reference the MAC address of the phone in Director with the switch port that the phone is plugged into on the Cisco switch, then just shut down power to that specifc port or range of ports so that you don't need to keep rebooting your entire switch.

Comment

yep, I agree with phoneguy.... we find what port the phone is using, disable the poe on that port and bring back on.... works fine.
          but can take some time.

Comment

Did you ever find out a resolution or the reason for the problem to your "out of service" phones after a power outage? I will have a planned power outage of 24 hours this weekend with 550 phones that will go dark. Any tips?

Comment

Working...
            X