Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTC EVO Android Phone as a SIP Extension

Anyone have any pointers for me on how to setup an Android phone (HTC Evo) as a SIP extension?

I see that SIPDROID might be an option but I'm not sure how to set this up.

Sipdroid is about your only option, and I dont remember if I got it to work. You just need to set up the extension on the Shoretel side, in Sipdroid, you need to put in your username, password, SIP proxy switch IP address...I think thats all you need.

Comment

I thought Sipdroid uses some sort of SIP tunneling via pbxes.org. Would that interfere with using this as an extension on the ShoreTel system? Or would it just ignore that for an internally initiated call?

Comment

My curiosity got the better of me and so I just went through this whole process with my Nexus One. I've never setup or ShoreTel system for SIP, so I had to figure that all out on the switch side. Plus, I never used Sipdroid before, so I had to play with those settings. Surprisingly, to me at least, I was able to get this working in about an hour. I'm making calls on my extension from the Nexus One to other extension in the office. It works great, call quality is good, boss is impressed (called her first). I tried dialing an outside number, didn't work, until I remember I needed the 91 prefix. I have one problem remaining on the outside call where I had one-way audio. I'll update later once I figure that out.

This will be key for our organization because we can user our smartphones for silent monitoring. We run a call center on ShoreTel 8 and now managers can override calls easily while out on the floor.

I can post details of the setup particulars if anyone is interested. Working on an iPhone setup now.

UPDATE: Outside calls are working fine now. No one-way audio. Tested inbound and outbound and it's all working. I may have been mistaken before, because I haven't really changed anything. Touch-tone is not working though, so I'm unable to use any ShoreTel auto-attendant features. Trying to figure this out now.

UPDATE: Looks like a Sipdroid bug: Issue 329 - sipdroid - DTMF problem starting with 1.3.8 - Project Hosting on Google Code
        Last edited by taPhil; 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

SIPDroid

Yes, we would be interested in learning from your hard work! We are looking at the same thing ourselves at the moment.

Comment

Won't look like much, but took an hour because I had to search around for everything.

ShoreWare Director
            - for user/extension, set SIP password (activates SIP license requirement)
            - SG50 Switch
            - had to setup SIP proxies, as I had none. Set 1 port for 100 SIP Proxies.
            - Site
            - Under our site (only have 1), set SIP Proxy Virtual IP (to another IP on phone subnet)
            - Set proxy switch 1 to SG50

Sipdroid
            - preferred call type to Sipdroid only (not necessary, but I only care about Sipdroid as ShoreTel extension)
            - SIP Account Settings
            - Auth username set to ShoreTel Client User ID for the user
            - Password, set to SIP Password set earlier
            - Server set to VIP set earlier
            - All other settings left at default

Looked at SIP Profiles, but need to research further to see if custom SIP profiles would help things. Currently, it pulls the _System profile, which seems to work.

That's it. Good luck. Can't wait for DTMF fix for Sipdroid.

Update: ShoreTel 8.1, Sipdroid 1.5.1
            Last edited by taPhil; 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot detail

Comment

SIP working!

Thank you for the info - worked pretty well. The only change I had to make was the SIP Client User ID - it would only work if the User ID and the extension matched.

So now, Calls from my SIP client can be made to [email protected]_SIP_Virtual_IP. Both inbound and outbound appear to be working fine.

Comment

I wonder if Driod has a Cisco Anyconnect VPN client, and if you could stayed logged into your extension through it.

Comment

Question for you. I have the HTC incredible and i tried to use sip droid and i am having an issue. After it registers to the system and i make a call, if the extension i am calling rings more than two times, the sipdroid registration goes to red and says "403 forbidden".

After it goes to forbidden, then i cant make another call until i kill sipdroid, delete the sip phone from the list in director and then relaunch sipdroid.

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

I did what taPhil wrote below. I am able to connect and initiate an internal call, the receiving party can hear me but I am unable to hear them. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by taPhil View Post
                    Won't look like much, but took an hour because I had to search around for everything.

ShoreWare Director
                    - for user/extension, set SIP password (activates SIP license requirement)
                    - SG50 Switch
                    - had to setup SIP proxies, as I had none. Set 1 port for 100 SIP Proxies.
                    - Site
                    - Under our site (only have 1), set SIP Proxy Virtual IP (to another IP on phone subnet)
                    - Set proxy switch 1 to SG50

Sipdroid
                    - preferred call type to Sipdroid only (not necessary, but I only care about Sipdroid as ShoreTel extension)
                    - SIP Account Settings
                    - Auth username set to ShoreTel Client User ID for the user
                    - Password, set to SIP Password set earlier
                    - Server set to VIP set earlier
                    - All other settings left at default

Looked at SIP Profiles, but need to research further to see if custom SIP profiles would help things. Currently, it pulls the _System profile, which seems to work.

That's it. Good luck. Can't wait for DTMF fix for Sipdroid.

Update: ShoreTel 8.1, Sipdroid 1.5.1

Comment

Sorry, can't help. I'm experiencing the same thing (but reversed) trying to get the softphone to work over our VPN. Some sort of routing/firewall issue, I suppose.

Maybe if I run SIP over VPN?

Comment

I could never get sipdroid to work, kept timing out trying to register. However, I found that CSipSimple works well (and the UI isn't bad).

Comment

Working...
                        X