Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Monitor with SIP Extension

I was doing a little reading on Shoretel's site and came across the SIP Extension guide. In the guide they had a little table telling you what you could and could not do with a SIP extension. It said that you could not silent monitor from the sip extension, but yet it you could do all kinds of other things with * codes. We silent monitor here all the time from our analog extensions with *17. Does anybody know why you can do things like Park, Unpark, and Pickup with * codes on a sip extension, but not silent monitor. Or has anybody tried to do this and got it to work?

It is not tied to the fact that it is a star code so much as the way the audio needs to be handled. SIP is not as flexible or feature rich signaling protocol in its standards based iteration. Most systems that use SIP as their signaling base have extended it beyond the standard extensively.

Comment

I don't understand what is special about how the "audio is handled". If I have two way audio on an analog extension using a star code, why can't I have two way audio on a SIP extension using a star code? Seems to me if the feature can be accessed via a star code, it should work on a SIP extension, shouldn't it?

Comment

Actually not. The audio stream on an analog port is controlled directly on the ShoreTel appliance and therefore accessible to the MGCP protocol and commands. A SIP extension is not directly accessible and can only be issued requests on the SIP protocol, not MGCP. Silent monitor is not a simple audio stream, it is more like a conference where one party is always muted. How exactly ShoreTel handles that I am not sure, deeper than what I can see, but it is definitely not a simple audio stream, which is what you can get out of SIP.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ben. Seems like it would work similar to how conference calls work then, but I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Working...
          X