Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move to different MAC address (VMware)

Hello all,

At present we have our ST9.2 virtualized on a seperate standalone server because our new, and bigger, ESX environment was not ready when we implemented ST.

Now that the ESX infrastructure is up and running I would like to move the VM. Doing a testrun with VMware Convertor showed no problems with the actual move. But the MAC address of the VM does change and I can not set the previous MAC within VMware, it is not in the correct range ? I suspect this is because the new servers are part of an HA cluster versus the standalone.

I asked our reseller about this and they suggested I hardcode the original MAC in the windows properties of the VMware virtual NIC. So telling the OS to use another MAC then the actual "hardware" ? This doesn't feel right too me, anyone have experience with this ?

What happens to an ST installation when the MAC changes ? Is it just a question of asking for new licenses and inputting them into the existing install or does this require a re-install ?

Thank you for your time.

The ShoreTel system key is tied into the NICs mac address so when you start it up it should complain about being out of compliance (Make sure you were in compliance when you do the move or it seems to immediately throw it to license expired on the new box).

We migrated our ShoreTel Server to a different physical box and had a similar issue. You can have your reseller (assuming your still paying for support) contact ShoreTel and have them reissue another system key, no reinstall required. Setting the MAC address on the NIC device driver settings does work fine as we had to do this for a couple of weeks before we received a new key however it is probably not best practice and would possibly violate the EULA.

I didn't think that a ShoreTel server would work in a virtual environment because the NIC's didn't handle concurrent media streams well enough? Can you let me know if it works ok?
    Last edited by crimson.falconer; 04-13-2010, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Out-of-compliance will give us 45 days to obtain a new license, correct ?

We run our ST (~125 phones over 2 sites) on vSphere without issue, but we have very low voicemail usage. We also dedicate NIC's to the Voice-VLAN on separate vSwitch, we tried to run a very low usage VM on the same NIC and that was a total disaster.

Comment

We failed over our ShoreTel server onto a newer faster blade and just switched the MAC in Windows. This was around a year ago and have not had any problems with it.

Comment

Mac Spoof

We changed the MAC address in our server as well to keep from having to get a new system license and jump through hoops.

As long as you are taking the OLD network card offline, then you shouldnt have problems.

Change or spoof a MAC address in Windows

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that option is available to us should we need it and appears to run just fine.

Comment

Vmware

Im not sure how forcing the MAC address change in windows would work with a VM guest.

Part of me says it wouldnt be a problem, the other part says that it wont work, because VMWARE is going to hard force the MAC of the network card.

This is one I would test on a scrub VM first, just to see what happens.

it does work fine on a physical machine.

I just have this feeling that when VMWARE sees a different MAC address, that it doesnt expect, that it is going to drop all the packets going through the virtual switch.

This "fix" is probably for physical servers only.
              Last edited by eazeaz; 04-21-2010, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Vmware NIC Macs

You can change the MAC of the NIC in a VMware server.
                You need to stop the VMware instance for that server or station.
                Then you edit the MAC of the NIC as long as you know what it was before.

I have done this already for the IBM Lotus servers, and have not had an issue.

Comment

There are some tools that can let you change the MAC address of a NIC too.
                  Also, under some versions of VMWare (I havent tried this on all versions), you can allocate the physical NIC to the VM image so host OS doesnt use it. This might be for older versions of VMWare only.

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
                    Mac Spoof

We changed the MAC address in our server as well to keep from having to get a new system license and jump through hoops.

As long as you are taking the OLD network card offline, then you shouldnt have problems.

Change or spoof a MAC address in Windows

I know this is an old thread, but im wondering if Eazeaz could elaborate on how a person can move a shoretel blade from one chassis to another and update the mac without it triggering the mac address license issue? Or, if the issue is triggered and then you change the mac, does the license error go away? V14 is what im on.

Does a guy need to disable certain shoretel services before he shuts down, then move the blade, fire up windows, change the mac addresss, then re-enable the services? I just don't want to trigger the error if it cant be untriggered without shoretel support being involved.

Thanks!

Comment

Both VMware and Hyper-V will allow for customized MAC addresses. Some versions of VMware requires a manual edit of the vm machine configuration. As for setting the administrative address in Windows, it is possible and can be done to conform to previous license keys, make sure there is not a conflicting MAC address already on the network.

No services need to be disabled, you can if you want. Just after making the administrative MAC address changes re-enable the services and reboot the server.

Comment

Working...
                      X