Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCM over wifi ( wireless G )

Just wondering if PCM works over local wifi? Wireless G in our case.

We have tried it in our system and i think our sonicwall access points are blocking the traffic, but i figured i would ask just incase they have something to prevent wireless use of the pcm.

Thanks!

PCM will work fine over wifi. I would not recommend using softphone over wifi.

Comment

I use PCM over WIFI for the soft phone and PCM, we use Ruckus and its QOS is just right for VOIP and HDTV. I cant speak for your firewall, its either blocking the ports or not. As far as your internal setup, I cant see your PCM traffic coming accross your FW unless you are bringing in traffic from a remote site via VPN Tunnel. With respect to your wireless, my guess is the traffic is getting tunneled to the controller (if you have one) or you have a funky auth scheme.

Comment

ok thanks.. must be our wifi then. Its rather strange cause i can ping the server, login to director, but the PCM says it cannot connect.

We will troubleshoot further.

Comment

you are going to have to WireShark this one, it will save you a little bit of time.

400Degreez.....On to the next one.

Comment

Do you use a proxy server? If so, add the ShoreTel server as an exception.

Comment

No proxy, just a direct connection to the wireless network. It might be a routing issue to the phone which is on another network. The wireless security is fickle that way.

Comment

wireless security, thats a good thing, right?

Comment

usually.. until it gets in a way lol.

Comment

ok, well the sonicwall wireless default setup prevents interconnection. So i fixed that and then it still did not work 100%. Turns out that the shoretel director server had to use the sonicwall as its default gateway. I am not sure if this is because its on the same subnet, but that is the only reason i can think of.

Everything works now.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

In order to reach a device, the default gateway must know how to reach it. At our office here, for example, we have both fiber and a cable connection, with different firewalls on each. We have a VPN on only one of these. If the proper route is not added or if the default gateway is set to the wrong device, no connection can be made to devices on the other side of the VPN.

Comment

of course that makes sense... in my case it did not make sense. I have an internal layer 3 switch that does all the routing, that router had a default route that pointed at the sonicwall. I even added a route for the sonicwall wireless network. Neither worked, though they should have worked in a standard networking config.

I was able to ping, but no other connections worked. It was just odd, i think it was the sonicwall security. I've seen funky things from them in the past and this is just another one of those things.

Comment

Working...
                        X