Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - my Shoretel server has crashed!

Hi All

We had a power trip and after that, our shoretel server was not able to boot up. The Windows server 2003 web edition logo appeared but after that, it was grey screen with a mouse pointer - i.e. no logon prompt.
    We tried recovering using the Windows server 2003 CD recovery option but to no avail. Using the Windows server CD recovery console, we did a chkdsk and the hard drive was okay - and the data on it seemed okay too.

We have a old hard drive containing the Shoretel system and we installed it on the crashed machine and it could boot up and the Shoretel service seemed to run. The problem is the Shoretel on this old hard drive is very old (we took it out of the same crashed machine a couple of years ago).

Question -- Can we copy the Shoretel folder from the hard drive on the crashed machine to the old hard drive and then installed the old hard drive on the crashed machine?

We know the machine can boot up with the old hard drive. Question is - will the Shoretel on the old hard drive run after we copy the Shoretel folder from the crashed hard drive to the old hard drive? The data in the crashed hard drive seems okay --- only the Windows is corrupted and we can't boot up beyond the Windows logo.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Gui

#1 What version of Shoretel are you on?

Make sure you have the appropriate service packs/patches.
    Make sure the Shoretel version is the same.
    Prior to version 7, you can just copy the Shoreline Data directory over.
    Reboot, and that should be it...

If you are on a later version, you still need to copy over the Shoreline Data directory over.
    Hopefully you have a semi recent copy of the DB, via a MySql dump of the configuration database. If so, you can do a restore and you will be back up and running.
    This is assuming that the CDR database is not important to you, otherwise, you will have to do a restore of that too.

I have never done it, so I dont know if you can do a MySql dump on the old hard drive, if MySql isnt running, but its worth a try if you dont have a recent backup.

Comment

I believe if you remove the crashed machines hard drive and add it to the old server, you may run into license issues because of the change in NICS. You can reload windows on the crashed machine, reinstall shoretel, same version and drop the Shoreline folder in and do a mysql dump.

Another option is to install shoretel on the new machine, same version, drop the shoreline data folder and do a dump.

Last option--uninstall shoretel on good machine, drop shoreline data and run an upgrade. I did this last weekend going from 7.5 to 9.2. I wiped and reloaded Windows Server 2003-dropped shoreline data-ran 9.2 installation, did a mysql restore and I was in the game.

All of this is dependent on what version and what option you choose, I cant promise that removing a hard drive from the crashed machine and installing it on old machine will work due to license issues, however, you may be able to get license jey from shoretel because of your unique situation.

Comment

thank you very much bobby

our shoretel version on the crashed machine is 6 (or 6.1).

not sure about the version on the old hard drive -- could be shoretel 5.

is it okay to copy the version 6 Shoretel Data dir over to the version 5 Shoretel drive?

thank you once again

Originally posted by Bobby_Digital View Post
        #1 What version of Shoretel are you on?

Make sure you have the appropriate service packs/patches.
        Make sure the Shoretel version is the same.
        Prior to version 7, you can just copy the Shoreline Data directory over.
        Reboot, and that should be it...

If you are on a later version, you still need to copy over the Shoreline Data directory over.
        Hopefully you have a semi recent copy of the DB, via a MySql dump of the configuration database. If so, you can do a restore and you will be back up and running.
        This is assuming that the CDR database is not important to you, otherwise, you will have to do a restore of that too.

I have never done it, so I dont know if you can do a MySql dump on the old hard drive, if MySql isnt running, but its worth a try if you dont have a recent backup.

Comment

Well, then your job is much easier!

You should be OK copying the Shoreline Data directory over from 6 to 5...but I would also suggest upgrading to the same version that you were on, otherwise you will have to reboot the switches and phones, and maybe even uninstall and reinstall Call Mangler.

So, I would:

1)find the setup.exe from the version of ST6 that you were, whether you have it downloaded somewhere, or you can look on the support site and see if its there. (you could also just download the latest build of 6.1, but then you will need to upgrade switches and phones also...)
          2) copy over the Shoreline Data directory over, then run the setup.exe for ST6
          3) reboot and you should be back up and running

Also, The license thing isnt a big deal for you in 6.1 I dont think, plus its the same NIC, just different hard drive, so I dont think you would run into any problems there.

Comment

Originally posted by 400degreez View Post
            All of this is dependent on what version and what option you choose, I cant promise that removing a hard drive from the crashed machine and installing it on old machine will work due to license issues, however, you may be able to get license jey from shoretel because of your unique situation.
            Naw man! All you would have to do is request another system license key, by emailing the key request manually, and just tell them that the server crashed and its a new server...its no big deal, I've done it a few times!

Comment

Hi bobby and the rest here

do you by any chance have the Shoretel Version 6.0 software?

we downloaded and installed it a couple of years ago, and now we cannot find the downloaded copy anymore.
              we only have the shoretel 5.0 CD.

we cannot download again from shoretel website as we are no longer on any support contract.

there shouldn't be any license issue since the old working bootable drive was originally the working drive on the machine.

thank you.

Gui

Originally posted by Bobby_Digital View Post
              Naw man! All you would have to do is request another system license key, by emailing the key request manually, and just tell them that the server crashed and its a new server...its no big deal, I've done it a few times!

Comment

Hello Gui -

Where are you located?

Hopefully you're up by now - but in case you're not...

I work for a ShoreTel partner in the Washington DC area -
                I have binaries for ShoreTel going back to version 4....

-Greg

Comment

Working...
                X