Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking an Inbound call

Is there a way to block a number that keeps calling?
    A few months ago we had 4 PRI's installed with a block of 400 DID's and have a collection agency calling looking for someone that once had one of our new numbers. I am tired of trying to tell them that this is a hospital, not an individuals home phone and please take that number off their list. I might as well have talked to the wall.

Personally I would recommend you deal with it according to this: Stop Debt Collection Calls - How To Stop Debt Collectors From Calling

Otherwise, you can block a specific caller ID at a per-extension level by using ShoreTel 9's Enhanced Call Handling Rules (configured from options). Of course, your calls would have to be hitting a user extension for this to work. There is no built-in way to block a caller globally.

Comment

Palitto, Thank you for your post. Where would I find the Enhanced Call Handling Rules? I have looked around and not able to locate.
      The call is hitting one specific extension.
      We are on 9.1

Thank you

Comment

From PCM, ShoreTel Menu->Options->Personalized Call Handling.

You must upgrade to Operator Call Manager before this option will appear. Once it is configured, however, you can go to a lower version and the rules will still apply.

Comment

Actually, you only need Professional Call Manager or above for Peronalized Call Handling, (not Operator). There is also a Professional Services application available from ShoreTel that allows blocking of inbound caller ID's on a system level --

ShoreTel Nuisance and Junk FAX Call Handler Application
          Overview
          - Call monitoring application that disallows incoming calls from designated phone numbers
          - Calls from blocked numbers are automatically disconnected
          - Calls with no caller ID are redirected to a voicemail box with recorded message
          - Application is loaded onto ShoreWare Director or DVS server and continuously monitors all extensions
          Benefits
          - Lightweight software application installed on ShoreWare Director or any DVS server
          - Convenient web-based administration
          Target Customers
          - Wide variety of businesses that are harassed by nuisance calls

Comment

Are you using an auto attendant?

I have several hunderd toll free numbers and used to get telemarketing calls all day long since we had agents that would pick up the phones without going to an auto attendant menu.

As soon as I put in an auto attendant menu over a year ago the calls have completely stopped, where I was being bothered several times per day.

Also you might want to go to Donotcall.org and register all your numbers with the do not call directory. Its a pain in the butt and you need a new email address for every 5 or so numbers, but that does help alot also.

Comment

Originally posted by bbrixey View Post
              Is there a way to block a number that keeps calling?
              A few months ago we had 4 PRI's installed with a block of 400 DID's and have a collection agency calling looking for someone that once had one of our new numbers. I am tired of trying to tell them that this is a hospital, not an individuals home phone and please take that number off their list. I might as well have talked to the wall.
              I'm also tired of dealing with these types of calls. Asking why this functionality is not already built into the system would be a better question. Nuisance calls have been around about as long as phones have.

Since Shortel has an application that deals with this on a system level, why isn't it part of the system? I can only assume it's because they want you to pay more money since people have been asking for this capability for years.

Comment

Originally posted by RLSuydam View Post

Since Shortel has an application that deals with this on a system level, why isn't it part of the system? I can only assume it's because they want you to pay more money since people have been asking for this capability for years.
                See: Capitalism 101

Comment

Call Handling>Configure Call Handling>Personalized Call Handling.

What I normally do first is create an AA for a client. Set all operations on that Auto Attendant to HANG UP (Multiple Digits setting does not have a Hang Up option so leave that at NONE). Set Timeout to 0. No Schedule used.

Back in Call Manager - Create a Rule
                  Phone Number Match - enter the offending number(s)
                  Forward Calls to Specific Number (point that to the extension of the Auto Attendant you created.

Now when that number ( or those numbers) call that extension they will hear "Thank you for calling" and the call will drop

Comment

Working...
                  X