Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Hit FTP Server

I have about 35 - 40 handsets at this site and a handfull are consistently getting no service as a result of not getting a responce from the ftp server on boot, which also cannot be ping'd from the handset. The thing is I can ping it perfectly from the computer attached to the same phone. If I turn off DHCP and manually set all settings the handset finds the ftp server fine. All the working phones are using DHCP and always function fine. I have confirmed that the initial settings pulled down from DHCP are correct on a problem phone and it doesn't differ from one that goes on to work. I have reset, cleared and done every other thing I can think of. I can of course continue using manual but this will just be a headache down the track.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards, J

Are all the handsets with this problem on the same network switch?

Comment

Unfortunately, No.

Comment

vlan?

hub, powerbrick, wireshark?

Comment

Try shutting of LLDP settings on the network switches, I have seen this before

Comment

Originally posted by jingle View Post
            I have about 35 - 40 handsets at this site and a handfull are consistently getting no service as a result of not getting a responce from the ftp server on boot, which also cannot be ping'd from the handset. The thing is I can ping it perfectly from the computer attached to the same phone. If I turn off DHCP and manually set all settings the handset finds the ftp server fine. All the working phones are using DHCP and always function fine. I have confirmed that the initial settings pulled down from DHCP are correct on a problem phone and it doesn't differ from one that goes on to work. I have reset, cleared and done every other thing I can think of. I can of course continue using manual but this will just be a headache down the track.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards, J
            Did you find a fix for this? I'm running into the same thing.

Comment

Are you certain this is caused by not reaching the FTP server? Normally the config is cached on the phone. If the FTP server is unreachable, the phone will continue using the cached config.

One common cause for random No Service is insufficient IP phone capacity. Have you checked this?

Comment

I have also seen randomly on phones if they are moved to a new subnet or new VLAN that they need to have the values cleared at the time the phone boots up and then it will pull DHCP, I actually ran into this problem with 2 phones yesterday. Once the values were cleared (even though there was not anything statically configured) the phones pulled DHCP properly.

Comment

have you tried mute ping # from the phone?

also mute info#

What is the ip, subnet, gateway, and vlan of the phone, and what is the same for the computer attached to it?

Comment

The switch does have plenty of capacity. The phones were moved from one subnet to another; I cleared them and no luck. They try to contact the ftp server, can not reach and then use the cached config. I used the ping util from the phone and it can't ping the ftp server. A regular notebook that uses the same dhcp server on the remote side is able to ping the ftp server without issue. The notebook, sg switch, dhcp server are all on the same network switch. no vlans are in use. when i assign the phone with a static ip address, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by huffditty View Post
                      Try shutting of LLDP settings on the network switches, I have seen this before
                      Depending on the build this might cause the issue. I have had trouble with this feature enabled. Some have the issue others don't. Should be the second to last option when going through the setup manually.

Good luck.

Comment

I copied and pasted my option 156 string from one dhcp server that is known good to the branch office dhcp and figured that the string was good. BUT there was something obviously wrong. I deleted the 156 custom option and recreated it and it now works!

Comment

Working...
                        X