Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 1720 Frustration

I am a new owner of 200 phone ShoreTel system and a new forum user. I know there are a number of threads on the 1720 Error but they are mostly old and I want to know if there is any new info on it. We are trying to install PCM on over 60 HP desktops and Sony laptops with XP Pro SP3 and all generate the 1720 error. We know about the installer issue(s), have run the install cleanup util... We have tried all the solution posted here and on other sites the only one I have found to work is stopping certain services, MS KB 891801... This is 40-60 minute process, for 60 machines the math is not on my side. Any other ideas? The product is great but trying to get the PCM installed is a headache!

I don't know any other way, nor have I seen any other way on these forums. You might perhaps use some tool such as Process Monitor to attempt to determine an easier way to resolve the problem. You could also script the reinstall so you don't have to spend as much time on it.

If you would like, we could take a look at one of the machines on an hourly basis. We've had good success with troubleshooting a wide variety of problems like this.

Comment

I found that if I just ran msdtc -uninstall
      delete the reg keys
      run msdtc -install
      register the mxocti.dll (or something like that listed in the knowledgebase)

the install completes successfully in most 90% of the cases without having to stop all the services usually takes about 3-4 min per machine.

Comment

ggallaway, Any chance you can be more specific in the steps you mentioned e.g. Which registry keys/hives to delete... ? Are the machines you have done this on XP Pro SP3? Thanks for any additional info!

Comment

Originally posted by DrMichael View Post
          ggallaway, Any chance you can be more specific in the steps you mentioned e.g. Which registry keys/hives to delete... ? Are the machines you have done this on XP Pro SP3? Thanks for any additional info!
          the issue primarily presents on SP3 machines.

See Microsoft KB: 891801

At a command prompt, type the following command:
          %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
          Start Registry Editor, and then remove the following registry keys if they exist:
          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSDTC
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\M SDTC
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\M SDTC
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
          At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install.
          Wait for disk activity to stop, and then restore the startup type of the services that you changed to their original values.
          In the registry, create the following registry key:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL
          At a command prompt, type regsvr32 mtxoci.dll.

Reboot and Reinstall -- Sometimes you don't even have to reboot!

Comment

Fix

DrMichael,

This link will make your life a lot easier:

JSI Tip 9178. How do I reinstall Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator on a computer that is running Windows XP?

Comment

Below is the process we used to fix the 1720 error. Worked first time on over 60 HP desktops and Sony laptops. Hope this may help someone...

At a command prompt, type the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall

Start Registry Editor, and then remove the following registry keys if they exist:
              HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSDTC
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\M SDTC
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\M SDTC
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
              At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install.
              In the registry, create the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL
              At a command prompt, type regsvr32 mtxoci.dll. You will receive a message that states that DllRegisterServer in Mtxoci.dll succeeded. Click OK to close the message.
              Restart your computer.
              At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -resetlog.

Comment

Working...
              X