Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice mail management

We are seriously considering a ShoreTel system and wanted to get feedback from ST users on the whole approach to VM and email integration.

From reading many of the posts here, it looks like forcing users to get VMs from Call Manager is the way to go. Less MAPI connections to Exchange and less headaches w/ the plugin. This would work fine for folks that are NOT mobile device users. For the mobile device users, it looks like delivering the WAV file might be the way to go. Realize that for the time being, we're all Windows Mobile devices so MCM is not an option.

Second part - Realizing that there will be some user education for those getting WAV files (eg: it doesn't delete it from the VM server), is there an option to automatically delete VMs on the server after a certain time?

Lastly, how big is the typical WAV file? Obviously our Exchange storage will take a hit and I can almost see it now... sales folks forwarding VMs all over the place and their SENT ITEMS grow out of control!

Any insight into the good and bad of how the VM/email thing works is appreciated.

Part 1: My preferred method is to have ShoreTel forward them to me as wav files and mark them as heard. I almost never use Call Manager

Part 2: Yes

Part 3: The wave files are 8kHz, 8-bit, mono. That's 1 byte * 8000 samples/sec * x seconds + overhead for wave headers. One option is to set up a secondary email server to handle voicemails. You can then just use POP and have them stored on the local machine if you wish. Personally, as long as you host your own email server already, I would recommend against this because of the configuration headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Palitto Consulting View Post
      Part 1: My preferred method is to have ShoreTel forward them to me as wav files and mark them as heard. I almost never use Call Manager
      So if I understand your response, you are getting the native WAV file? Are you marking them as heard by using the Shoretel Outlook plugin or some other method? Maybe I'm not aware of some other option so excuse my ignorance!

Comment

Just to touch on a couple of your statements and provide some clarification...

Shoretel introduced support for MCM on Windows Mobile phones in Shoretel 9.0. Although they only officially support it on a limited number of handsets, it is 100% driven by the fact that they need Java on the phone and some carriers do not provide Java as part of their core WM package and may block you from installing. We've successfully deployed it on a number of different handsets from different carriers, up to WM 6.1.

We've deployed the Outlook integration across a LOT of environments over the past 4 years or so. It's yet to cause any sort of serious problems and/or performance impacts on our customer's environments (keep in mind that all the voicemail is still stored on the Shoretel server and it opens a MAPI connection to Shoretel's server to communicate. It only leverages Exchange for importing contacts into PCM and it does this by requesting that information through Outlook and only on the intervals you specify).

Comment

Originally posted by cburgy View Post
          Shoretel introduced support for MCM on Windows Mobile phones in Shoretel 9.0. Although they only officially support it on a limited number of handsets, it is 100% driven by the fact that they need Java on the phone and some carriers do not provide Java as part of their core WM package and may block you from installing. We've successfully deployed it on a number of different handsets from different carriers, up to WM 6.1.
          Is there a document that lists all the currently supported WM devices? The only info I can find only shows Blackberries and some Nokia devices.

Comment

Mobile Call Manager is available for the
            following devices on version 9.0:
            BlackBerry® Bold 9000
            BlackBerry 8700 BlackBerry 7290
            BlackBerry 88xx series
            BlackBerry 83xx series (Curve)
            BlackBerry 81xx series (Pearl)
            Motorola® Razr v3 Motorola Razr v3xx
            Nokia® E61i Nokia E65
            Nokia E90 Nokia N95
            Sprint® PPC-6800 (HTC Mogul) --- WM Device