Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.1 Sound quality

Has anyone heard complaints of " tinny" sounding phone calls on ST9.1? I am wondering if anyone has found a good codec. PMCU/8000 was a good one for ST8 but it may be a little too much bandwidth for me to us across the 4 sites that are currently complaining about the sound quality. Any help is appreciated.

Did you move from 7.5 to 9.1?

Comment

Brand new install. I mentioned ST8 but this customer was never actually on that release of software.

Comment

A lot of me customers have noticed the change from 7.5 to 8/8.1, because of the codec changes. They said it sounded tinny, because it sounded different from the old versions.
        When they really listened they agreed that it was more clear and not tinny.

Comment

When we upgraded to 8.1 I was flooded with calls. Almost 25% of the staff thought the quality was so bad that they opened IT tickets.

To me, it sounded like talking into a metal bucket.

we changed back to pcmu8000 and everything was great again.

Now on a new installation, where the staff wouldnt have been already used to pcmu8000, maybe they wouldnt have complained.......

Comment

Previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...dec-usage.html

Comment

They were used to an old legacy copper system that had decent sounding phone calls. I know that ShoreTel sounds different then an analog system but that is what they were going off as far as comparison goes. I have managed to tweak it at each site and no more complaints.

Comment

We have just installed 9.1 and I have complaints of tinny or intercom sounding calls. What did you do to tweak it?

Comment

We have notice this too. We upgraded from 7.5 to 9.1 and since then we have been comments about the sound quality. In a lot of cases it sounds like the mics on the phones are picking up a lot more ambient noise from the room, and even getting feedback from the speaker if on Handsfree.

But in general they acknowledge the sounds itself is crisp. We are looking for any tweaks we can find as well.
                  Last edited by Skirk505; 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Codec

Create a new codec list

assign pcmu/8000 as your codec for intra and inter site calls (if you have the bandwidth).

it will sound like 7.5 again....... tinny sound will be gone. The new codec selections lose much of the lower end audio... the bass is gone....

We get a thread going on this problem every couple of months or so.

see this one for some details on how it started and how to fix.

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...c-changes.html

FYI
                    i believe pcmu8000 takes about 64k per call....
                    Last edited by eazeaz; 08-04-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

9.1 Audio Levels

We have gone through much of this same troubleshooting for audio issues since moving from 7.5 to 8.1 and now on 9.1...

=================
                      From Skirk505 (in this thread):
                      We have notice this too. We upgraded from 7.5 to 9.1 and since then we have been comments about the sound quality. In a lot of cases it sounds like the mics on the phones are picking up a lot more ambient noise from the room,
                      =================
                      Also these threads:

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...me-phones.html

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...1164-echo.html
                      =================

I am now convinced that many of our IP 110 phones (and possibly other models) are jumping audio level at some point (reboot, reset, etc.) so that they are at full volume (RxGain10) by default, causing a perceived echo (feeding back from receiver to microphone on the handset). I am tempted to tweak these values, but I would really appreciate if anyone could point out a way so that the phones bootup at mid-volume (5 bars/blocks) and allow those in noisy or quiet environments to adjust accordingly.

Has anyone come across this or is this something that falls into the feature request category?

Thank you,
                      Gman

Comment

Gman,

Are these inter or intra site calls? What codecs are you using for each type of call?

Comment

Working...
                        X