Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Group Policy

    Has anyone done a deployment (not upgrade) of clients via group policy?

  • #2
    I did it with 6.1 to about 200 workstations. It worked great. Once the computer reboots, it will install the PCM and then auto reboot again. After that, you are good to go.

    Comment


    • #3
      how about a way to script the setup of the clients so that when users go from pc to pc their shoretel config follows......

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by travisbconley
        how about a way to script the setup of the clients so that when users go from pc to pc their shoretel config follows......
        you could do that with roaming profiles, but it might not be suitable

        Comment


        • #5
          ShoreTel has stated many times that roaming profiles is not supported. Just be careful because ShoreTel will not provide support once they find out you are utilizing roaming profiles.
          -LC

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't want to use true roaming profiles, just something like a logoff script in active directory that would copy their %username% shoretel files to their user directory, then in the login script, copy them to the pc....

            Comment


            • #7
              We use roaming profiles and we have it working well. We actually addressed this during pre-install so the Shoretel Engineers actually tried (a little) to help out so they could get the sale.

              The only thing that we found that doesn't roam correctly is the little Outlook form that they use for their voicemail. With a lot of googling, I found out the way around that is to publish the form in Exchange itself.

              Since we got it up, we haven't had any problems with the roaming profiles.

              Comment


              • #8
                would you mind sharing anything special you had to do with the group policies?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by travisbconley
                  I don't want to use true roaming profiles, just something like a logoff script in active directory that would copy their %username% shoretel files to their user directory, then in the login script, copy them to the pc....
                  That shouldn't be too hard, use a batch file with an xCopy.

                  Something like this for the login

                  Code:
                  xcopy \\file_server\share\FRMCACHE.DAT "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS\" /y
                  And logout

                  Code:
                  xcopy "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS\FRMCACHE.DAT" \\hounas01\profiles$\ /y
                  Those should work, but I would test them out first....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would think that you would have to make changes to the reg as, the TAPI config lives there.
                    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that donít.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Basically, Shoretel has an Application Note (ST-0128 March 24, 2006). Maybe Charles could post a link to that on this website or I could email it to anyone who needs it.

                      I created a share on the network and put the data1.cab, setup.exe, and Shoreware Call Manager.msi file in it. To get the msi, you have to do a manual install on one workstation and pull the msi file from that workstation. Copy it from there to your network share.

                      After that, I just created a GPO and assigned it to all of my computers.

                      Each user who logs in for the first time will have to go through the initial setup. I just created a site on our Intranet that wents step by step with pictures.

                      With my roaming profiles, like I said, everything roams with the user except that Forms.dat file. But to get around that, I just published the form in Exchange so Outlook automatically looks there if it can't find it locally.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tnshurtm
                        I did it with 6.1 to about 200 workstations. It worked great. Once the computer reboots, it will install the PCM and then auto reboot again. After that, you are good to go.

                        Can you share what you did? Our client followed the Shoretel app note instructions but the TAPI settings don't properly configure when each user runs PCM the first time and goes through setup.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cburgy
                          Can you share what you did? Our client followed the Shoretel app note instructions but the TAPI settings don't properly configure when each user runs PCM the first time and goes through setup.

                          share what I did with the form? or the roaming profiles? If I remember correctly, the roaming profiles just worked except for the form.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tnshurtm
                            share what I did with the form? or the roaming profiles? If I remember correctly, the roaming profiles just worked except for the form.

                            Sorry... meant the group policy deployment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I went through it it pretty good detail earlier in the thread. Do you mean how I created the GPO? I am sorry. I am not getting the question.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X