Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShoreTel 8.1 - Call Manager - UAC

Hi we've recently completed an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.1, and have noted a few inconsistancies.

One being the call manager application, and that upon installation (Pushed out via MSI with AD Group Policies.) a UAC prompt is presented when installing the Outlook integration components.

As our desktops have only local user rights / non administrative is anyone aware of a fix for this issue?

I'm finding it strange that we didn't have this problem with 7.5.

Can you disable UAC through GP? I know you can do it localy.

Comment

I'm not sure you can disable UAC through a GP. You can do while logged in as a domain or machine admin. We have a remote IT vendor who helps us and they always asked us to do it individually...I am assuming (hopefully) b/c they could not do via a GP. That was until I took every Vista box we had and I threw them out the window. I don't have this problem any more.

Comment

Originally posted by francismcphail View Post
        Hi we've recently completed an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.1, and have noted a few inconsistancies.

One being the call manager application, and that upon installation (Pushed out via MSI with AD Group Policies.) a UAC prompt is presented when installing the Outlook integration components.

As our desktops have only local user rights / non administrative is anyone aware of a fix for this issue?

I'm finding it strange that we didn't have this problem with 7.5.
        How about that! A fellow Aussie with the exact same problem.

We've been fighting tooth and nail to get Shoretel to admit that this is an issue, and for a proper solution, but they genuinely don't seem to understand the problem.

We've had the problem escalated to the regional manager for Shoretel, and some gurus in the states, but the answers they've come up with so far have been underwhelming.

We also deploy Shoretel via GPO and MSI, and the fact that it doesn't work now when it did previously is just a slap in the face.

So far, they've come up with some useless solutions such as deploying via a computer logon script. This is pointless, as you lose the whole point of why MSI distribution was implemented. You can't manage upgrades easily, and the whole process becomes a pain to manage.

I'll keep you updated with how we go. We were one of the first adopters of Shoretel here in Australia in 2006, and we're beginning to feel like Shoretel don't seem to care about our market too much.

As a whole, I'd say 8.1 has been a backwards step from 7.5, as it has also introduced numerous bugs that should have been caught during testing.

Originally posted by dfbrass
        Can you disable UAC through GP? I know you can do it localy.
        Originally posted by jponeill70
        I'm not sure you can disable UAC through a GP. You can do while logged in as a domain or machine admin. We have a remote IT vendor who helps us and they always asked us to do it individually...I am assuming (hopefully) b/c they could not do via a GP. That was until I took every Vista box we had and I threw them out the window. I don't have this problem any more.
        Frankly, telling people to disable UAC is idiotic, sorry, but I have to say it. It is not a solution, as 7.5 was quite happy to coexist with UAC. It's the same as when SELinux became a regular feature on Linux distributions, and amateurs were advising to disable it.

These security systems are put in place for a reason. In UAC's case, disabling it will lose you IE's protected mode, among other things.

In Shoretel's case, implementing a newer version of software that is "compatible" with Vista, but lacks fundamental features that the previous version supported is incomprehensible.

Comment

What about checking local GP and making sure the following is disabled?

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation --

Enabled: Application installations that require administrative privileges will trigger the User Access Control prompt.

Disabled: Since many application installations are handled via Group Policy, user intervention and approval is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by dfbrass View Post
            What about checking local GP and making sure the following is disabled?

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation -snip-
            The problem is, the install itself works fine.

The UAC prompt appears during the "Getting Started Wizard", as the wizard launches an external command. I saw the name of it yesterday, but can't remember it now.

This sounds like it may be a valid solution. I'll give it a try this week.

Even if UAC doesn't prompt for installations, users won't be able to install apps if they don't have administrative privileges anyway - so changing this won't be a security issue.

Comment

Daniel I am hoping to speak with one of the senior regional people in ShoreTel Australia sometime on the next week or so. I have a list of items to bring up with him, this is one of them.

Dropping the UAC with GPO is an option but not one I'd take seriously to consider.

We had a comment from a support person to give the local users local admin rights, which wont be happening anytime soon.

Daniel I do agree ShoreTel seem to think Australia is a little behind, in the world. (Perhaps though they need to look at our mobile networks and then have a rethink.)

I'd like to hear more about the bug's you've found in 8.1. (Will PM you my details.)

Francis.

Originally posted by daniel.s View Post
              How about that! A fellow Aussie with the exact same problem.

We've been fighting tooth and nail to get Shoretel to admit that this is an issue, and for a proper solution, but they genuinely don't seem to understand the problem.

We've had the problem escalated to the regional manager for Shoretel, and some gurus in the states, but the answers they've come up with so far have been underwhelming.

We also deploy Shoretel via GPO and MSI, and the fact that it doesn't work now when it did previously is just a slap in the face.

So far, they've come up with some useless solutions such as deploying via a computer logon script. This is pointless, as you lose the whole point of why MSI distribution was implemented. You can't manage upgrades easily, and the whole process becomes a pain to manage.

I'll keep you updated with how we go. We were one of the first adopters of Shoretel here in Australia in 2006, and we're beginning to feel like Shoretel don't seem to care about our market too much.

As a whole, I'd say 8.1 has been a backwards step from 7.5, as it has also introduced numerous bugs that should have been caught during testing.

Frankly, telling people to disable UAC is idiotic, sorry, but I have to say it. It is not a solution, as 7.5 was quite happy to coexist with UAC. It's the same as when SELinux became a regular feature on Linux distributions, and amateurs were advising to disable it.

These security systems are put in place for a reason. In UAC's case, disabling it will lose you IE's protected mode, among other things.

In Shoretel's case, implementing a newer version of software that is "compatible" with Vista, but lacks fundamental features that the previous version supported is incomprehensible.

Comment

My Shoretel vendor did this upgrade without telling us that we would have to touch every desk top and uninstall and then reinstall the PCM. We were doing the ECC upgrade also at the time but I stopped that part. I guess the agent tool bar and the PCM morph into one bar….which is cool but……
                We are not that big of a call center about 100 seats ….do able in a overnight situation...but seriously no MSI file? If we were a 1000+ seat call center I would want to honk somebody nose for that mess up.
                I had our vendor read to me out of the upgrade manual the instructions and it does say you have to have local admin rights to upgrade the PCM….I hooked his nose. 
                Keep up the fight.

Comment

Enhancement request created

Francis,

There is an enhancement request to have this issue addressed. Number 1-34836467. This enhancement request is specific to the fact that administrative permissions are required for the installation of the Calendar and Outlook Integration pieces. ...also included the request for the msi installer packages as a separate item for these modules as well.

These things get engineering time based on percieved customer demand/greatest benefit.

I suggest you (and anyone else who wants this fixed) to let ShoreTel know through your ShoreTel partner.

Daniel I am hoping to speak with one of the senior regional people in ShoreTel Australia sometime on the next week or so. I have a list of items to bring up with him, this is one of them.

Dropping the UAC with GPO is an option but not one I'd take seriously to consider.

We had a comment from a support person to give the local users local admin rights, which wont be happening anytime soon.

Daniel I do agree ShoreTel seem to think Australia is a little behind, in the world. (Perhaps though they need to look at our mobile networks and then have a rethink.)

I'd like to hear more about the bug's you've found in 8.1. (Will PM you my details.)

Francis.

Comment

Did this enhancement request ever go anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoock View Post
                      Did this enhancement request ever go anywhere?
                      In short, No.

It's disappointing. As we're only small with ~140 phones spread over two sites, but I can't imagine that most corporate bodies anywhere in the world would be given local admin rights to corporate workstations, and laptops. Your SOE would be dead within 5 minutes.

The system may be easy to use, and robust but these issues cripple end users who rely on IT admin to elevate their local permissions and then configure, and then drop the local privileges down again.

Comment

In short, No.

It's disappointing. As we're only small with ~140 phones spread over two sites, but I can't imagine that most corporate bodies anywhere in the world would be given local admin rights to corporate workstations, and laptops. Your SOE would be dead within 5 minutes.

The system may be easy to use, and robust but these issues cripple end users who rely on IT admin to elevate their local permissions and then configure, and then drop the local privileges down again.
                        This is getting really frustrating. I'm chasing it up with our Shoretel vendor, but no doubt Shoretel will give them the run-around as they have done for the last 3 years on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel.s View Post
                          This is getting really frustrating. I'm chasing it up with our Shoretel vendor, but no doubt Shoretel will give them the run-around as they have done for the last 3 years on this issue.
                          Yes I'd bet a months worth of wages on that

Comment

Shoretel are promising that this will be resolved in v13. Sounds like they've finally understood the problem.

Comment

If there is a Server 2008 AD server around (or if you use a Windows 7 GPO pack) you can disable UAC and I believe you won't have this problem. I just disabled UAC through our default GPO because it was causing weird problems. Once the policy is enacted you will have to reboot to pick it up and then reboot once more to fully disable UAC. I have included a screen shot with the GPO settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X