No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migration/upgrade

ok, here is what I want to do....
    I have a primary shoretel server and a dvm. they are running version 7 and i want/need to get to 8.5
    I also want/need to upgrade my primary server to new hardware. Is the following possible/smart to do?
    1. build new server on new hardware and install version 7 of shoretel
    2. copy shoretel files (not sure which ones I need) to new server from old server
    3. upgrade new server to 8.5 while current system is running as is
    4. when that is complete and functioning, shut down current server and boot up new server with same ip as old server
    5. reoot switches and phones to get new firmware

thoughts?

I have been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. I have some experience on this one. So here goes...

I would upgrade on existing servers if at all possible. Then do a migration to the new hardware on a clean OS with a clean install of ShoreTel. Same or different IP and machine name is optional when migrating. One is just more work than the other for the switches in my experience.

We are about to perform a two step upgrade from 7.0 to 9.1 in a couple of weeks on a multi-site system. I plan on landing the 9.1 systems on clean OS's with a clean install of 9.1 when finished. I'll be happy to post the overview if you want to include what to backup before the upgrade.

Comment

that would be good, I am just afraid that I don't ave the disk space on my current shoretel server to complete the upgrade. I sized it poorly when i set it up a few years ago.

Comment

OK. I would do the following:

1. Install OS and pre-reqs on the new server.
        2. Stop the ShoreTel services on the old HQ server and backup the "Shoreline Data" folder.
        3. Shut down that HQ server.
        4. Give the new server the same IP as the old HQ server.
        5. Install Shoretel on the new server using the same build as the old HQ server.
        6. Stop Shoretel services on the new server and restore the "Shoreline Data" folder from the old HQ server into same folder on new HQ server. Reboot
        7. Reboot DVM and all switches/phones.
        8. Stop DVM Shoretel services, backup "Vms" folder and start those same services.
        9. Then do your upgrade.

Once the upgrade process is complete I would backup the "Shoreline Data" folder on the new HQ server again and the "Vms" folder on the DVM. Then re-build servers with a clean OS using the same IP's, perform a clean install of ShoreTel and restore the data.

I will basically be doing the same thing on our system, but will have to upgrade twice as we are on 7.0. Once we are on 9.1 I will backup the data/config (probably an image too) and do a clean install with restore. Maybe it is overkill to be on a clean OS, but I don't mind the extra work.
        Last edited by grdne1; 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

OS for 9.1

Didn't I read somewhere that ShoreTel 9.1 requires Win Server 2008? And most ShoreTel 7.x versions are running on Win Server 2003.

Or have I lost it completely?

Bill

Comment

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition, 32-bit (Standard or Enterprise) is good for version 9.1.

Comment

Working...
            X