No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Trunks from Other Sites during Outage

Issue:
    The provider that covers most of Oregon had a major outage yesterday causing most businesses to lose phones over PRI (analog lines worked).

Our setup includes a single Analog line (Primarily for 911 calls) and a full PRI.
    When the PRI went down, the FIRST outgoing call would use the analog line - any additional calls would give the re-order tone.

Confusion:
    We had another site that was fully functioning over an MPLS connection. Using the trunk test tool I could dial out any of their trunks and have it ring my phone to complete the call.

Under User Groups for my user, I have access to their outgoing trunks.
    Yet, ShoreTel never seemed to try their trunks. It knew to use the single analog line when the PRI failed, but it didn't seem to "know" to try going out the WAN to use another line...

If I dialed a number LOCAL to that other site, it went out their line as we already had that programmed and tested (for example if I called their main number it would go out one of their secondary numbers).

Any pointers?

Trunks

If you check your user groups, and look under Outgoing Trunk Groups (Access Code):

do your user groups have checkmarks to allow access to all the trunk groups in question? Do all your trunk groups use the same access code, like 9?

your sites should absolutely be able to use PRI's for any outbound calls from any site as long as the permissions are correct.

I would check the permissions, then unplug one of the PRI's and test some calls to verify that it works.

Comment

The problem you are experiencing is by design.. ShoreTel won't "escalate" local calls to be an LD call at another site. I assume you are in area code 541, your other trunks are in area code 503. ShoreTel wll see that you are trying a "local" 541 call but it doesn't have trunks available. The ShoreTel dial plan doesn't (by default) allow you to turn that 541 call into an LD call from 503. If you are in the 503 area code trying to call 541, it is already an LD call, so it will allow it to go out 503 if 541 trunks are unavailable. this behavior is completely adjustable using relatively minor custom dial strings that can be implemented by your partner. The pitfall with this, and the reason ShoreTel doesn't do this natively is because there is a potential for "accidental" LD charges. Talk to your partner, explain what you want, and they can hook you up.
      If you don't have a partner, or they aren't taking care of you, let me know and I can recommend a couple partners in Oregon with strong engineering skills.

Comment

Originally posted by benchtoplabs View Post
        The problem you are experiencing is by design..
        Are you sure about that, because it doesn't seem to be the case with our system? Our system (still version 7.0 right now) fails-over calls to other sites both from headquarters to a remote site and vice-versa. In fact, we had a PRI go down at one of our remote sites and they didn't even know it until customers reached their cell phones to tell them that their phone lines were busy. When they called out local or Long Distance, their calls were routing out through our Headquarters site PRI's and they hadn't noticed.

At our headquarters, we have two PRI's. One is setup for Local calls only, and the other is setup for Local or LD. When the LD PRI has gone down in the past, our LD calls automatically route through one of our remote sites.

We did not do any custom dial plan for this. It just worked this way from the original installation (version 6.1)

Gymratz, does your remote site (where you expected the call to fail over to) have Long Distance enabled on its trunk group? Do your users have permission to make long distance calls? Both of those would be required for the fail over.

Gary

Comment

As far as I can tell, the permissions are all set up properly.
          The lines at the other sites are not PRI though, they are Analog lines...
          Each site has two trunk groups, a "Main" and a "Hunt."
          Every user group in the system has access to all "Hunt" trunk groups.
          Only people in the local site has access to "Main" which is used only for incoming, and outgoing 911 calls.

We do have a Partner; however, if there is one with strong programming/engineering skills (especially if they don't charge an arm and a leg) it would be appreciated. We are very glad we have them for setting up new sites and upgrading software! However, whenever we have a problem like this that I can't solve, it turns out they don't know either so we end up paying them $110 an hour for them to call ShoreTel to get an answer.
          Last edited by Gymratz; 06-22-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Also to help clarify, our main office is in Oregon (541) our other offices are in NJ and MA. So, definetly would be considered long distance...
            Also, only 3 outgoing trunks at each location (small offices).

Comment

so long as it's not your HQ that's in trouble: set your trunk group permissions (you did that), and, in "Sites", check "Use Parent as Proxy".

worked for me a few weeks ago then the LEC in Hubbard, OR, took us down for unscheduled construction (oops). the MPLS was still up, however, so I enabled outgoing calls from the site using this method. had the LEC forward the MLN to a DID in Portland (keeping it a local call (not toll) for inbound callers), then routed that DID, via DNIS, back over the net to the "Reception" Hunt Group in Hubbard. got us out of a jam.

Comment

We do *not* have "Use parent as Proxy" checked. I do not fully understand what that will cause to happen at our sites.

Can you give any more information on what it will do?

Comment

"Use parent as proxy" bypasses some of the LCR and allows child site to use the parents trunks as it's own. This would have worked in this situation, but we normally don't use this unless we don't have trunks at the child site.

Comment

But our problem was that the trunks at the "HQ" were down. Would "use parent as proxy" allow the "Parent" to use the "Child" trunks?

Comment

You can do this by modifying the dial plan, there is some more talk of this type of thing in this thread: http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...c-routing.html

If you enable call cost promotion calls will route out a more "expensive" trunk if the "best" trunk is not available for some reason. Bear in mind that it could be any reason, not just an outage or fault. It could just be that all lines in that trunk group are in use, you may actually want these calls to fail so you know that you are saturating your local trunk group. If you enable call cost promotion calls would find another site to route out when all lines are in use locally.

Comment

I see your question.. "Use parent as proxy" only allows calls to route upward, not down. That's where the custom dial work comes into play. A site in 541 can't natively route calls out a site in XXX back to a 541 number because you are taking a call that has already been classified as local and making it LD. Jason is right, it is called "Cost Promotion", and it is "inhibited" by default.

Comment

I would recommend KB12996

Comment

I have been looking through the "Support" mode and I don't see an option for "Inhibit Call Cost Promotion." Can you direct me to where that might be?

I found in another topic adding ";1a" to the "site plan."
                            My guess on this is adding that to Site Dialing Rules under Custom... But I don't want to play with that without some solid confirmation.
                            I was thinking it would be a checkbox somewhere!

I want to have documented the procedure as we'll only turn it on when we need it, to prevent "issues."

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Gymratz View Post
                              I have been looking through the "Support" mode and I don't see an option for "Inhibit Call Cost Promotion." Can you direct me to where that might be?

I found in another topic adding ";1a" to the "site plan."
                              My guess on this is adding that to Site Dialing Rules under Custom... But I don't want to play with that without some solid confirmation.
                              I was thinking it would be a checkbox somewhere!

I want to have documented the procedure as we'll only turn it on when we need it, to prevent "issues."

Thanks,
                              Adding ;1a to the site plan will have the effect you want. It gets added to the custom area as you mention above.

Forget about check boxes once you enable support mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X